Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Inlet functions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi

For my job as a student assistant I shall create a vertical standing cylinder with a diameter of 2mm and a length of 2mm.
On top of the cylinder is a larger room that is filled with air.
The materials used in the simulation are water and air.
At the beginning of the experiment water is already present in the cylinder. In the course, due to its surface tension the water should form a hemisphere at the upper end of the cylinder.

The problem I have now is to fill the cylinder from the bottom up. The ideas I have for this are:

- Use the inlet:
o (constant) flow of water (velocity)
o Pressure function (Pressure, no viscous stress)
- Declare the bottom of the cylinder as “Moving wall” pressing the water out at the top similar to a syringe

Unfortunately, I did not manage any of the options listed so far.
I downloaded a model from the "Model Gallery" (Filling of a Capillary Channel; Model ID: 1878) and changed the geometry according to my task.
The forming of the hemisphere can be observed as well, but the achievement is not based on the methods mentioned above, but on the capillary effect.

Maybe someone has experience with something comparable or has dealt with a similar topic already.

With best regards

0 Replies Last Post 23.11.2010, 10:31 GMT-5
COMSOL Moderator

Hello René Ragge

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.