Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Laminar ar flow- fluid properties inputs- Temperature

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

In the Laminar flow model, fluid properties inputs, Temperature there are two options: 1. user defined , 2. from model (ht/fluid1) . I also have a heat transfer module in this simulation.
could some one explain me therre differences. (I cant find this written in any place).
also i have noticed that when i use the second option (from model), I think the flow velocity better models the material (mater in my case). but on the other hand i cant solve the model for very short times. does anyone know why?

Many thanks,

J

7 Replies Last Post 17.12.2010, 04:27 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.12.2010, 10:12 GMT-5
Hi

the "from model (ht/fluid1)" is simply the "T" value of the other physics (you have probably 2 physics including a Heat transfer in Fluids (ht/fluid1). This is the one to select if you couple the physics. But if you want to decide which temperature you use in your specific physics you can define it as a "user input".

A user input of fluid1.ht.T (or T2, T3... depending on its internal naming) is the same as the "from model" case

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi the "from model (ht/fluid1)" is simply the "T" value of the other physics (you have probably 2 physics including a Heat transfer in Fluids (ht/fluid1). This is the one to select if you couple the physics. But if you want to decide which temperature you use in your specific physics you can define it as a "user input". A user input of fluid1.ht.T (or T2, T3... depending on its internal naming) is the same as the "from model" case -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.12.2010, 11:16 GMT-5
great thanks,
the only thing i dont understand is why for short times my model doesnt solve when i use temperature input from ht? but solved fine when i put in a user defined variable.

Thanks,

J
great thanks, the only thing i dont understand is why for short times my model doesnt solve when i use temperature input from ht? but solved fine when i put in a user defined variable. Thanks, J

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.12.2010, 13:25 GMT-5
Hi

well have you plotted the ht.T temperature to check that it is changing with time?,
and check how the solvers are linked, if you solve all variabls (or if ht is not selected it will not solve at all and the link will be wrong), or if you solve them as a segregated set, which oones are first second, is this the right order. COMSOL makes som guesses, bu sometimes it's wrong w.r.t. your specific model.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi well have you plotted the ht.T temperature to check that it is changing with time?, and check how the solvers are linked, if you solve all variabls (or if ht is not selected it will not solve at all and the link will be wrong), or if you solve them as a segregated set, which oones are first second, is this the right order. COMSOL makes som guesses, bu sometimes it's wrong w.r.t. your specific model. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.12.2010, 13:42 GMT-5
thanks again i really appreciate your help,

i dont think its one of what you recommended: the temperature is changing, and the model is solving for both physics (fully coupeled).
what is bothering me is that after 0.001 sec the result looks great, but for 0.0001 sec the result is complete noise (looks like numerical instability).
what do you think doc?
thanks again i really appreciate your help, i dont think its one of what you recommended: the temperature is changing, and the model is solving for both physics (fully coupeled). what is bothering me is that after 0.001 sec the result looks great, but for 0.0001 sec the result is complete noise (looks like numerical instability). what do you think doc?

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.12.2010, 13:45 GMT-5
Hi

mostly temperature effects are reevant in the order of seconds or minutes, OK if you are working with MEMS its faster, or liquid metal quenching.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi mostly temperature effects are reevant in the order of seconds or minutes, OK if you are working with MEMS its faster, or liquid metal quenching. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.12.2010, 04:26 GMT-5
ha great,
I dont think its that, but it works now (after some changes to the solver). many many thanks,

J
ha great, I dont think its that, but it works now (after some changes to the solver). many many thanks, J

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.12.2010, 04:27 GMT-5
PS. Ivan you rock! we all appreciate your help!
PS. Ivan you rock! we all appreciate your help!

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.