Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Ramp Applied Force in Stationary Study

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,
I am running a stationary study where a gravitational force is being applied to a deformable geometry that is undergoing "large deformation." The nonlinear solver is having issues, and based on previous posts in this forum, I think it is partially because a large force is being applied suddenly.

Is there a way to apply a ramping force in a stationary study where there is no time variable? The ramp function seems to ramp up the force as a function of time, so I don't understand how I can use it in a stationary study. Thank you.

Austin

3 Replies Last Post 16.03.2011, 17:17 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.03.2011, 16:12 GMT-4
Hi

run a parametric sweep (i.e. stationary continuation sweep) with Param = range(0,0.1,1) and you apply your load as F0*Param. Then the load is ramped. I use this often.

Sometimes it's better NOT to start at "0", but with a small offset such as Param = {0.001 range(0.1,0.1,1)} as sometimes the "zero case" could be a singularity or it could be a biffurcation point

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi run a parametric sweep (i.e. stationary continuation sweep) with Param = range(0,0.1,1) and you apply your load as F0*Param. Then the load is ramped. I use this often. Sometimes it's better NOT to start at "0", but with a small offset such as Param = {0.001 range(0.1,0.1,1)} as sometimes the "zero case" could be a singularity or it could be a biffurcation point -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.03.2011, 16:15 GMT-4
Thank you Ivar. Is this in the Study Settings, under Continuation parameter?

I really appreciate all your help!

Austin
Thank you Ivar. Is this in the Study Settings, under Continuation parameter? I really appreciate all your help! Austin

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.03.2011, 17:17 GMT-4
Hi

I would say so, take a look this is for a torque load applied in steps

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I would say so, take a look this is for a torque load applied in steps -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.