Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Does any one use the default "poroelastisity" module in Version 4.1?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I found a problem with the default implemented "poroelastisity" in version 4.1 and same problem with version 4.0a.

The "initial values" doesn't affect the result at all, it seems something wrong
with the implementation and this option doesn't enter into the computation.

Thanks.
XLi

2 Replies Last Post 16.03.2011, 17:25 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.03.2011, 17:19 GMT-4
Hi

if you are sure, and have looked at the underlaying equation in equations view (sometimes you night fix it in there, as workaround) then you should report it to support so it can be analysed by COMSOL and corrected if required

it might have been corrected in the latest patch (see thee main site)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you are sure, and have looked at the underlaying equation in equations view (sometimes you night fix it in there, as workaround) then you should report it to support so it can be analysed by COMSOL and corrected if required it might have been corrected in the latest patch (see thee main site) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.03.2011, 17:25 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have sent email to the support to see if they can help or might be I am wrong somewhere.

Attached is the simple model to test this in case someone else want to test it. It is a simple cubic model
infuse fluid into a cubic domain (defined as storage material), all boundaries set to zero flux, with homogeneous mass source in the whole domain.

For a transient problem, solution exist for transient problem although everywhere is Neuman Boundary.

Run the model will give a homogeneous pressure distribution, and of course the solution will dependent on the initial pressure.

In the default "poroelastisity" model, change the "initial values" doesn't affect at all, this should NOT be like this.

A Darcy's law module was added to test the problem, everything works well with the Darcy's law module.

Essentially the poroelasitity should be equal to the Darcy's law (given that the poroelastisity module only uses storage material, I just wanted to test this, that's why there is no "poroelastic material" but only "storage materaial").

There might be a bug here or I might be wrong somewhere.
I also tested a model with the "poroelastic material", the "initial values" doesn't affect either.

/XLi

Hi Ivar, Thanks a lot for your reply. I have sent email to the support to see if they can help or might be I am wrong somewhere. Attached is the simple model to test this in case someone else want to test it. It is a simple cubic model infuse fluid into a cubic domain (defined as storage material), all boundaries set to zero flux, with homogeneous mass source in the whole domain. For a transient problem, solution exist for transient problem although everywhere is Neuman Boundary. Run the model will give a homogeneous pressure distribution, and of course the solution will dependent on the initial pressure. In the default "poroelastisity" model, change the "initial values" doesn't affect at all, this should NOT be like this. A Darcy's law module was added to test the problem, everything works well with the Darcy's law module. Essentially the poroelasitity should be equal to the Darcy's law (given that the poroelastisity module only uses storage material, I just wanted to test this, that's why there is no "poroelastic material" but only "storage materaial"). There might be a bug here or I might be wrong somewhere. I also tested a model with the "poroelastic material", the "initial values" doesn't affect either. /XLi

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.