Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Coil Simulation in 3D

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I am doing coil simulation in 3D. I have a coil (9 turns). My task is i want to find coil inductance and A/C resistance at different frequncies. I was simulated at 100KHz and 1MHz frequncies. Problem is at 100KHz it is giving good results but when it comes to 1MHz it is giving bad results. Can any body know how to get good results at high frequncies. I metion my Simulations links below. Thanks in advence.

rapidshare.com/files/460404078/9turns_100mmbox_5V_100KHzfreq.mph
rapidshare.com/files/460403676/9turns_100mmbox_5V_1MHzfreq.mph

Regards,
Pranith Thummala

1 Reply Last Post 14.07.2011, 08:41 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Pranith Tummala

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.07.2011, 08:41 GMT-4
Hi,

for high frequencies I suggest to use the RF modul and not AC/DC!
I do not have experience with it, but RF module takes all effects (displacement field) into account...

I am modelling a 3D coil, too. How did you model your coil? Did you model each wire, or is it just one domain.
I am looking for a way to model a multiturn coil domain using just one toroidal domain.
If the domain is electrical conductive (choosed copper as material) I seem to have eddy currents, because the domain behaves like a single turn domain. If the conductivity is set to zero, the solverproduces error message: can't find inital values...

Any suggestions?

Best regards
Hi, for high frequencies I suggest to use the RF modul and not AC/DC! I do not have experience with it, but RF module takes all effects (displacement field) into account... I am modelling a 3D coil, too. How did you model your coil? Did you model each wire, or is it just one domain. I am looking for a way to model a multiturn coil domain using just one toroidal domain. If the domain is electrical conductive (choosed copper as material) I seem to have eddy currents, because the domain behaves like a single turn domain. If the conductivity is set to zero, the solverproduces error message: can't find inital values... Any suggestions? Best regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.