Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

importing 2D geometry?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear All,

I am using a geometry imported from CAD and i d like to select a single face and
transform it to get only to work in 2D. Basically i d like to solve it in 2D.
How can i do,

anyone can help?

1 Reply Last Post 02.12.2009, 10:06 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 02.12.2009, 10:06 GMT-5
Hi

there is one way, I believe, but you must decompose your geometry and delete the main part, by using the split down to a surface andor edges and then copy and past it into a new 2D geometry (I cannot test do not have COMSOL accesible just now).

I usually make a dxf, via 2-3 programmes but often the dxf is getting partly corrupted.

Check with V3.5a if you cannot import an IGES, as many CAD software can export just a surface from a 3D into a IGES file, some can even into dxf

But you might also reconstruct it, often quicker.

I know it seems complex, in fact I find it to be too, the "projection" function is missing in COMSOL, but perhaps someone has hooked together a script out there ?

It will be easer in V4 I have heard, something to look forward to

good luck
Ivar

Hi there is one way, I believe, but you must decompose your geometry and delete the main part, by using the split down to a surface andor edges and then copy and past it into a new 2D geometry (I cannot test do not have COMSOL accesible just now). I usually make a dxf, via 2-3 programmes but often the dxf is getting partly corrupted. Check with V3.5a if you cannot import an IGES, as many CAD software can export just a surface from a 3D into a IGES file, some can even into dxf But you might also reconstruct it, often quicker. I know it seems complex, in fact I find it to be too, the "projection" function is missing in COMSOL, but perhaps someone has hooked together a script out there ? It will be easer in V4 I have heard, something to look forward to good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.