Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Residual boundaries on the solid surfaces when performing boolean operations

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

When I create my solids in COMSOL using some boolean operations (add, substract..) I cannot get rid of the boundaries of the surface in the resulting solids (even when I disable the "Keep interior boundaries" checkbox). This happens when the original solids have any common surface. The problem is that the mesher respects these boundaries in the surface, therefore creating zones of extremely fine mesh where it is not needed. How can I solve this problem? Manual meshing is not always a good option to overcome this problem.

Thank you very much,
Iker.

4 Replies Last Post 20.06.2011, 07:40 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.06.2011, 03:05 GMT-4
Hi

It's correct you can remove the "interiour Boundaries" (1st level down from a Domain), but not the 2nd level interiour Edges that appear on the external Bounderies. Haddent notice that

I can only suggest that you send in a mail to "support" to have them add this on the next release, as this is specific for 3D

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi It's correct you can remove the "interiour Boundaries" (1st level down from a Domain), but not the 2nd level interiour Edges that appear on the external Bounderies. Haddent notice that I can only suggest that you send in a mail to "support" to have them add this on the next release, as this is specific for 3D -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 09.06.2011, 03:49 GMT-4
Thanks Ivar. I'll contact COMSOL because it is a big problem for the convergence of some models.

Best regards,
Iker.
Thanks Ivar. I'll contact COMSOL because it is a big problem for the convergence of some models. Best regards, Iker.

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.06.2011, 08:29 GMT-4
Hi,
I had the same problem and this is what worked for me:
surround all your geometry with a big box. then use the bulean opperation Difference to subtract your geometry from the box. Now build a new box identical to the first one and subtract from it your "box with a hole"

good luck
Hi, I had the same problem and this is what worked for me: surround all your geometry with a big box. then use the bulean opperation Difference to subtract your geometry from the box. Now build a new box identical to the first one and subtract from it your "box with a hole" good luck

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.06.2011, 07:40 GMT-4
Thanks. But I have finally imported my model from a CAD format.
Thanks. But I have finally imported my model from a CAD format.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.