Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Surface Current Density Comsol 4.4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to know what is the difference between induced Current Density (emw.Jix), Surface Current Density (emw.Jsx), and Current Density (emw.Jx).

Thanks in advance, Jose Santos.

1 Reply Last Post 16.03.2019, 14:24 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 5 years ago 16.03.2019, 14:24 GMT-4

I'll tackle two of those. emw.Jx is the x component of the volume current density in the x-direction, so it is in units of A/m^2. Use it for materials with non-zero and non-infinite conductivity. emw.Jsx is the x component of the surface current density, so it is in units of A/m. I use if most often to look at surface currents on perfect conductors (PECs), but I think (I haven't checked, but you could check fairly easily) you could also use it on a surface that was specified with an impedance boundary condition.

-------------------
Scientific Applications & Research Associates (SARA) Inc.
www.comsol.com/partners-consultants/certified-consultants/sara
I'll tackle two of those. emw.Jx is the x component of the volume current density in the x-direction, so it is in units of A/m^2. Use it for materials with non-zero and non-infinite conductivity. emw.Jsx is the x component of the surface current density, so it is in units of A/m. I use if most often to look at surface currents on perfect conductors (PECs), but I think (I haven't checked, but you could check fairly easily) you could also use it on a surface that was specified with an impedance boundary condition.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.