Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Scaling of heat transfer coefficient with Thickness in 2D heat transfer/fluid flow model

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I'm modeling heat transfer of a simple cylinder in convective flow in 2d, with a defined volumetric heat source (General Source in W/m^3).

If I add a constant heat flux to the outside of the cylinder, and change the heat transfer thickness dz, the temperature of the cylinder is unchanged, as I would expect (since the heat source is volumetric).

However, if I add CFD turbulent flow and do a multiphysics solution, the temperature changes dramatically when dz is changed (ie, the effective heat transfer coefficient has changed).

Anyone have a clue what may be going on here?

0 Replies Last Post 23.04.2019, 19:33 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Jeff Klein

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.