Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Start time dependent study with initial conditions from a stationary converged solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello World.

I would like to solve a non-isothermal single phase flow with natural convection.
As I have some problems at the beginning of the solution process I thought about a method to solve such a problem by solving a stationary problem until convergence to create an initial condition for a time dependent study.

Any ideas how I can achieve this?

Thanks in advance!
Sebastian

1 Reply Last Post 18.11.2011, 04:00 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 18.11.2011, 04:00 GMT-5
Hi

in V4 you add a stationary study-solving node before your time dependent node, and COMSOL will link them and use the stationary case as initial conditions (if you have tweaked your solver sequence, you should regenerate a new "default" one to get the solver sequence correctly updated by COMSOL.

Furthmore, if you use the variable "t" in some of your BC's or elsewhere, it will not be defined for the stationary solving case. My workaround is to define a Global Parameter t = 0[s] and set it to the first, or any convenient time step value

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi in V4 you add a stationary study-solving node before your time dependent node, and COMSOL will link them and use the stationary case as initial conditions (if you have tweaked your solver sequence, you should regenerate a new "default" one to get the solver sequence correctly updated by COMSOL. Furthmore, if you use the variable "t" in some of your BC's or elsewhere, it will not be defined for the stationary solving case. My workaround is to define a Global Parameter t = 0[s] and set it to the first, or any convenient time step value -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.