Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Handover of temperature between Heat Transfer Physics Modules

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I have a problem with a Comsol model. I have two heat transfer Modules. The first module is used, to compute the heating phase of a to be simulated SLM-process. There shall be a displacement due to the heat during the heating phase, but the there shall be no stress at the start of the cooling phase in the area of the powder and the molten material. Therefor the second heat transfer module ist used with a different starting temperatur. The starting temperature shall be the end temperature of the first heat transfer module. Therefor I set the starting temperature of module 2 to T2 = T. The problem is solved in two study steps, one for the heating phase and one for the cooling phase with segregated solvers. The study steps contain different time intervalls for the heating an cooling phase. The heating phase seems to be calculated correctly. When the cooling phase starts to compute, the temperature of the heating phase does not get handed over to the second module. Instead a start value of 0 K seems to be used.

I started using Comsol just a few weeks ago, so I'm relatively new to the software. I'd be thankful for every hint or advice.

2 Replies Last Post 03.02.2012, 13:04 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.02.2012, 11:15 GMT-5
Hi

that is from the initial conditions, by default they point to study case all "0", you must check the "dependent variables node" and say it should point to the last step of the previous study

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is from the initial conditions, by default they point to study case all "0", you must check the "dependent variables node" and say it should point to the last step of the previous study -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.02.2012, 13:04 GMT-5
Thanks a lot. That solved my problem.
Thanks a lot. That solved my problem.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.