Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"Using linear geometry shape order for mesh element near coordinates..."

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

What does it mean when I get dozens of messages saying "Using linear geometry shape order for mesh element near coordinates...". Is there something wrong or inefficient about my meshing or my geometry? I'm looking for ways to optimize it.

1 Reply Last Post 03.02.2012, 14:43 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 03.02.2012, 14:43 GMT-5
Hi

this means that your mesh quality is rather limited and that COMSOL decides to use linear mesh shape functions instead of thehigher order shape functions, because the mesh element are highly deformed. It is a warning, stating that the results might be of poor quality, particularly any higher order derivatives variable.

Check the forum and the KB for "using linear geoemtry shape order" there are more explanations around

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi this means that your mesh quality is rather limited and that COMSOL decides to use linear mesh shape functions instead of thehigher order shape functions, because the mesh element are highly deformed. It is a warning, stating that the results might be of poor quality, particularly any higher order derivatives variable. Check the forum and the KB for "using linear geoemtry shape order" there are more explanations around -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.