Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Problems Meshing a Segment-Shaped Volume

Francesc-Xavier Borras

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hej!

I am having some problems meshing a segment-shaped volume. Can anyone tell me how would he solve it? The fillets can be neglected if there is not any possible mesh including them.

Thanks a lot,

2 Replies Last Post 01.03.2012, 12:37 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.03.2012, 10:43 GMT-5
Hi

for me they mesh OK (4.2a .166) in physics controlled mesh, in Normal you get a warning, that dissapears from "fine". Ok its not a very nice mesh but with all the silver edges you souldnt expect much better.

You can also make a structured mesh

add a triangular mesh node (2D) and select boundaries 4 6 16 21 (by the way it's 4 and 21 that are the silver edge parts) THen add aa sweep mesh for all domains, add a Distribution sub node and duplicate 2 times, select only domain 3, set 3 layers, select domain 2 and use the default 5 layes, and the last distribution for domain 1 also with 5 layers.

I suppose 3 is a magnet, if so its nice to have the fillets, it reduces the singularities of the field at sharp corners and vertexes. But perhaps you should also fillet the lower iron to get rid of the small faces 4 and 21, I do not think it will change a lot your final simulation but it will improve the mesh quality. Its not that easy on the opposite side, andI'm not sure you can do much either

But for me it meshes, or have I missed something ?

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi for me they mesh OK (4.2a .166) in physics controlled mesh, in Normal you get a warning, that dissapears from "fine". Ok its not a very nice mesh but with all the silver edges you souldnt expect much better. You can also make a structured mesh add a triangular mesh node (2D) and select boundaries 4 6 16 21 (by the way it's 4 and 21 that are the silver edge parts) THen add aa sweep mesh for all domains, add a Distribution sub node and duplicate 2 times, select only domain 3, set 3 layers, select domain 2 and use the default 5 layes, and the last distribution for domain 1 also with 5 layers. I suppose 3 is a magnet, if so its nice to have the fillets, it reduces the singularities of the field at sharp corners and vertexes. But perhaps you should also fillet the lower iron to get rid of the small faces 4 and 21, I do not think it will change a lot your final simulation but it will improve the mesh quality. Its not that easy on the opposite side, andI'm not sure you can do much either But for me it meshes, or have I missed something ? -- Good luck Ivar

Francesc-Xavier Borras

Posted: 1 decade ago 01.03.2012, 12:37 GMT-5
Thanks Ivar for your fast reply.

I was trying to mesh it mapping the surface and sweping the entire body (it works perfectly with less complex geometries).

Anyway, due to my lack of experience meshing on Comsol, I will follow your advice and keep on with your improved mesh.

All the best,

F. Xavier Borras
Thanks Ivar for your fast reply. I was trying to mesh it mapping the surface and sweping the entire body (it works perfectly with less complex geometries). Anyway, due to my lack of experience meshing on Comsol, I will follow your advice and keep on with your improved mesh. All the best, F. Xavier Borras

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.