Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

question about small imaginary part for eigenfrequency

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I am running a study for acoustic in a hard wall cylindrical tank. The problem can be easily solved by separation of variables. Theoretically, the eigenfrequencies are all real. But why the eigenfrequencies solved in comsol included imaginary part, such as 1847.9832949527051+8.535829728636379E-12i. All imaginary parts are very small which are compared with real parts. How and why does this imaginary part exist? I am really confused about this part.

Regards.

Margaret

1 Reply Last Post 06.08.2020, 10:05 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 4 years ago 06.08.2020, 10:05 GMT-4

Hi,

This is just numerical noise due to roundoff errors. The eigenvalue solver in COMSOL is the same for damped (in which case the eigenfrequencies should be complex) and undamped problems.

You can often reduce the noise by setting a reasonable value in the Search for eigenfrequencies around text field.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi, This is just numerical noise due to roundoff errors. The eigenvalue solver in COMSOL is the same for damped (in which case the eigenfrequencies should be complex) and undamped problems. You can often reduce the noise by setting a reasonable value in the *Search for eigenfrequencies around* text field.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.