Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to estimate the effective elastic properties of a representative volume element (RVE) in Comsol?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Often to simulate composite materials, a representative volume element (RVE) is built, and the effective elastic properties are homogenised for the composite material in the RVE. Periodic boundary conditions (PBCs) are employed to simulate the deformations around the RVE.

I know there are plug-in tools in ABAQUS and Digimat software to compute the effective elastic properties of RVE. However, I don't know how to estimate these effective elastic properties in COMSOL. Is there a way/tool to do this in COMSOL? or do I need to specify it myself?

Many Thanks,

Eman

5 Replies Last Post 06.10.2020, 07:45 GMT-4
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 06.10.2020, 02:08 GMT-4
Updated: 4 years ago 06.10.2020, 02:11 GMT-4

The Cell Periodicity feature in Solid Mechanics does exactly this. It was introduced in version 5.4, by which you have tagged this question, so you should have access to it.

https://www.comsol.com/release/5.4/structural-mechanics-module

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The *Cell Periodicity* feature in *Solid Mechanics* does exactly this. It was introduced in version 5.4, by which you have tagged this question, so you should have access to it.

Posted: 4 years ago 06.10.2020, 05:19 GMT-4

Dear Henrik,

Thank you for your reply. Can this be used for any periodic model I create? Such as meta material, an RVE with random fiber, an RVE with void inclusion? or is it limited to a single fiber as shown in the link you provided?

Thanks

Eman

Dear Henrik, Thank you for your reply. Can this be used for any periodic model I create? Such as meta material, an RVE with random fiber, an RVE with void inclusion? or is it limited to a single fiber as shown in the link you provided? Thanks Eman

Posted: 4 years ago 06.10.2020, 06:05 GMT-4

Hi Eman To simulate RVE with random fibers, you can create this model with matlab or with STL model and import this model into the Comsol.

Hi Eman To simulate RVE with random fibers, you can create this model with matlab or with STL model and import this model into the Comsol.

Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 06.10.2020, 07:33 GMT-4

Hi Eman,

You can create a periodic cell with any 'reasonable' geometry, and with any combination of materials or voids. The effective material can be automatically generated, and so can the 'fundamental loadcases'.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
Hi Eman, You can create a periodic cell with any 'reasonable' geometry, and with any combination of materials or voids. The effective material can be automatically generated, and so can the 'fundamental loadcases'.

Posted: 4 years ago 06.10.2020, 07:45 GMT-4

Said, thank you for your reply, model creation is not a concern.

Henrik, All clear now. Many thanks.

Regards,

Eman

Said, thank you for your reply, model creation is not a concern. Henrik, All clear now. Many thanks. Regards, Eman

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.