Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Using the solution of 1st study for next one (there is new geometry added in next study)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I'm using v4.2 and using Thermal Stress module to do the simulation, I'm modelling thermal stress in a spray deposited preform, there are many layers (aluminium) deposited on the substrate(steel) as the time increases(time dependet study),
I have now simulated for 1 layer (2D rectangle) and wanted to continue by adding many layers using the solution from the previous layers and am stuck as to what steps to follow, I have read about 'Store Solution', 'Values of Dependent variable', 'update solution', using two different study types etc etc but don't know exactly which one to follow and how to go about it.
Any help in this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

4 Replies Last Post 12.04.2012, 12:41 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.04.2012, 16:46 GMT-4
Also, is it possible to make a parametric sweep for the number of layers in a time dependant study?

It should be able to use the solution from previous layer to continue with the next layer.
The study is thermal stress & it should be able to pick up the temperature & stress from the initial study and the further studies for the next layer.
Also, is it possible to make a parametric sweep for the number of layers in a time dependant study? It should be able to use the solution from previous layer to continue with the next layer. The study is thermal stress & it should be able to pick up the temperature & stress from the initial study and the further studies for the next layer.

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.04.2012, 17:20 GMT-4
Hi Aishwarya,

I have the some problem as you. I want to use the deformed geometry from last step as the initial configuration for the next step of modal analysis, keeping the information of stress and strain ect.

I try to use ALE method to save the deformed geometry, but I can not go through now.
Hi Aishwarya, I have the some problem as you. I want to use the deformed geometry from last step as the initial configuration for the next step of modal analysis, keeping the information of stress and strain ect. I try to use ALE method to save the deformed geometry, but I can not go through now.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.04.2012, 10:44 GMT-4
Why doesn't the moderator reply even though its so long since its been posted, I need the solution urgently. Its very important.
Why can't anybody reply soon?
Its frustrating not to find answer either in Help file or in Forum.
Why doesn't the moderator reply even though its so long since its been posted, I need the solution urgently. Its very important. Why can't anybody reply soon? Its frustrating not to find answer either in Help file or in Forum.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.04.2012, 12:41 GMT-4
I have attached the error file(P4) and the settings I have used in dependent variables.

I was trying to store the solution of the 1st layer then use it in 2nd and then store that and use in the third, but got this error. I had got this error even when trying to use stored solution for 2nd layer but it worked later and don't know why its not working now.

I have many doubts,
1. whether the settings I have used in the Dependent variables correct?
2. Should I add one more Thermal stress model to the Tree or can I just add the boundaries of new material in the already existing 'Thermal stress' of the previous one?

3. Should I remove the 'Temperature' that I had given to the top boundary line of 1st layer when trying to simulate for the next one, (when solution from 1st one is stored does it take the end temperature of the top boundary line of 1st layer for the simulation of next layer so that I can remove the temperature Boundary condition)

4. When trying to compute, should I click on 'Compute' under the particular Solver I want or to the main Study?

5. How is the Time change affected, If I have time of (0, 5, 300) for the 1st layer & want to see the change in next 200 seconds after adding the 2nd layer should I change time to (0,5,500) under 'Time dependent solver' of particular solver (in my case Solver 3 or 5 in picture)
how does this time work?
Should it be of range (0,5,200) or (0,5,500) if I want to see the changes of the next layer in next 200 seconds after the 1st layer analysis?
I have attached the error file(P4) and the settings I have used in dependent variables. I was trying to store the solution of the 1st layer then use it in 2nd and then store that and use in the third, but got this error. I had got this error even when trying to use stored solution for 2nd layer but it worked later and don't know why its not working now. I have many doubts, 1. whether the settings I have used in the Dependent variables correct? 2. Should I add one more Thermal stress model to the Tree or can I just add the boundaries of new material in the already existing 'Thermal stress' of the previous one? 3. Should I remove the 'Temperature' that I had given to the top boundary line of 1st layer when trying to simulate for the next one, (when solution from 1st one is stored does it take the end temperature of the top boundary line of 1st layer for the simulation of next layer so that I can remove the temperature Boundary condition) 4. When trying to compute, should I click on 'Compute' under the particular Solver I want or to the main Study? 5. How is the Time change affected, If I have time of (0, 5, 300) for the 1st layer & want to see the change in next 200 seconds after adding the 2nd layer should I change time to (0,5,500) under 'Time dependent solver' of particular solver (in my case Solver 3 or 5 in picture) how does this time work? Should it be of range (0,5,200) or (0,5,500) if I want to see the changes of the next layer in next 200 seconds after the 1st layer analysis?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.