Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

how do I to get comsol not to square round corners

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

So I am trying to make a square with a extremly small round edge, basically a 100nm square with 1nm rounded edges. One thing to note is that this is ontop of a 1+um square. I have played with the relative repair tolerances and I ether get a error or a triangle, neither of which I want. Does anyone have a suggestion?? When I try to just make this rounded part alone in anoter window it works fine just not in my larger model.

Thanks

2 Replies Last Post 06.05.2012, 01:49 GMT-4
Robert Koslover Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 decade ago 05.05.2012, 19:47 GMT-4
Sometimes, when there are multiple orders of magnitude scale differences in the sizes of parts in a Comsol model, you need to introduce additional internal boundaries. These can generally be made so as to not impact the solution (with either default or "continuity" boundary conditions specified on them). Then you can also set up the meshing to be at different levels of fineness within each geometrically-hierarchical level, which often helps. However, these tricks do not always work. In those problematic cases, I believe you are supposed to link prepare your structures as assemblies (is that the right term?) rather than let them form unions, but I haven't tried that technique.
Sometimes, when there are multiple orders of magnitude scale differences in the sizes of parts in a Comsol model, you need to introduce additional internal boundaries. These can generally be made so as to not impact the solution (with either default or "continuity" boundary conditions specified on them). Then you can also set up the meshing to be at different levels of fineness within each geometrically-hierarchical level, which often helps. However, these tricks do not always work. In those problematic cases, I believe you are supposed to link prepare your structures as assemblies (is that the right term?) rather than let them form unions, but I haven't tried that technique.

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.05.2012, 01:49 GMT-4
Strangely enough, I tried again for the 100th time and just did a bezier and the a union and it worked. This program can be mighty pick at times.
Strangely enough, I tried again for the 100th time and just did a bezier and the a union and it worked. This program can be mighty pick at times.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.