Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

R/T coefficients of two gratings

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello All,

I am calculating one model including two parallel gratings. I want to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients of two gratings. The incident angle of the light α can vary from 0 to pi/2.

Different from the model of "Plasmonic Wire Grating", where they use S-parameters and “port”, I used a scattering field and PMLs. I attached the codes and a short explaination.

I am so confused by this calculation.

In addition, I tried to use port to calculate the R/T coefficients. But I always find some unnecessary oscilations in the curve. So I have to quit and use the above method. Is there any successful example of calculate the R/T coefficients for three or more layers media?

Thanks for your time!

8 Replies Last Post 15.07.2012, 14:34 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 10.05.2012, 20:39 GMT-4
forget one thing: the code is in 4.2.a.
forget one thing: the code is in 4.2.a.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.05.2012, 12:49 GMT-4
You should model your grating with ports, not PMLs (as it's done in "plasmonic grating" example). PMLs+scattering BCs are trickier to setup.

You should model your grating with ports, not PMLs (as it's done in "plasmonic grating" example). PMLs+scattering BCs are trickier to setup.

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.05.2012, 16:17 GMT-4
Kuznetsov, thanks for your suggestions.

In fact, I first followed the example and used the "port", I found one problem: oscillation in the R/T curve. Someone told me that there could be attributed to multi reflections at the port and some surface(s) of grating. i.e. the back and forth reflection between the port and some surface of the grating.

So I consider using PML to absore the wave to remove multi reflections.

Do you have some examples of R/T coefficients for multi-layer?

Thanks for your help.

Hongtao
Kuznetsov, thanks for your suggestions. In fact, I first followed the example and used the "port", I found one problem: oscillation in the R/T curve. Someone told me that there could be attributed to multi reflections at the port and some surface(s) of grating. i.e. the back and forth reflection between the port and some surface of the grating. So I consider using PML to absore the wave to remove multi reflections. Do you have some examples of R/T coefficients for multi-layer? Thanks for your help. Hongtao

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.05.2012, 19:36 GMT-4
what do you mean by "oscillation in the R/T curve"? Are these the oscillations with angle of incidence, wavelength, etc.?
what do you mean by "oscillation in the R/T curve"? Are these the oscillations with angle of incidence, wavelength, etc.?

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.05.2012, 15:18 GMT-4
Hello Alexander,

I upload one pic on my calculation. It polted the relation btw the R/T coefficients with incident angle. I attempeted to change the size of the mesh and these oscillation still exists.

It is the oscillation that caused me to use the PML+scattering field to calculate the R/T coefficients of the grating, not "Port".

Hello Alexander, I upload one pic on my calculation. It polted the relation btw the R/T coefficients with incident angle. I attempeted to change the size of the mesh and these oscillation still exists. It is the oscillation that caused me to use the PML+scattering field to calculate the R/T coefficients of the grating, not "Port".

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.05.2012, 14:50 GMT-4

Hello Alexander,

I upload one pic on my calculation. It polted the relation btw the R/T coefficients with incident angle. I attempeted to change the size of the mesh and these oscillation still exists.

It is the oscillation that caused me to use the PML+scattering field to calculate the R/T coefficients of the grating, not "Port".

Are you sure they are coming from ports? Way to check it is to shift your port by quarter-wavelength further away from the grating and see if the results changes. If that's the case, then I suspect that you didn't setup ports correctly. By looking at your grating, ports should work just fine.
[QUOTE] Hello Alexander, I upload one pic on my calculation. It polted the relation btw the R/T coefficients with incident angle. I attempeted to change the size of the mesh and these oscillation still exists. It is the oscillation that caused me to use the PML+scattering field to calculate the R/T coefficients of the grating, not "Port". [/QUOTE] Are you sure they are coming from ports? Way to check it is to shift your port by quarter-wavelength further away from the grating and see if the results changes. If that's the case, then I suspect that you didn't setup ports correctly. By looking at your grating, ports should work just fine.

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.05.2012, 15:57 GMT-4
Thanks for your suggestions. I will check the port. In fact, "Port" method is simpler than PML and no need to calcualte the outflow power.

Hongtao
Thanks for your suggestions. I will check the port. In fact, "Port" method is simpler than PML and no need to calcualte the outflow power. Hongtao

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.07.2012, 14:34 GMT-4

Hello All,

I am calculating one model including two parallel gratings. I want to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients of two gratings. The incident angle of the light α can vary from 0 to pi/2.

Different from the model of "Plasmonic Wire Grating", where they use S-parameters and “port”, I used a scattering field and PMLs. I attached the codes and a short explaination.

I am so confused by this calculation.

In addition, I tried to use port to calculate the R/T coefficients. But I always find some unnecessary oscilations in the curve. So I have to quit and use the above method. Is there any successful example of calculate the R/T coefficients for three or more layers media?

Thanks for your time!

Hello, have you solved the problem? I have met the same problem when calculating the reflection and transmission coefficient in a similar model with you. I use ports firstly but there are also oscillations,and I don't know how to use Scattering BC +PML. Attached file is the model I'm following and it may help you. If you have any ideas please let me know, thank you.
[QUOTE] Hello All, I am calculating one model including two parallel gratings. I want to calculate the transmission and reflection coefficients of two gratings. The incident angle of the light α can vary from 0 to pi/2. Different from the model of "Plasmonic Wire Grating", where they use S-parameters and “port”, I used a scattering field and PMLs. I attached the codes and a short explaination. I am so confused by this calculation. In addition, I tried to use port to calculate the R/T coefficients. But I always find some unnecessary oscilations in the curve. So I have to quit and use the above method. Is there any successful example of calculate the R/T coefficients for three or more layers media? Thanks for your time! [/QUOTE] Hello, have you solved the problem? I have met the same problem when calculating the reflection and transmission coefficient in a similar model with you. I use ports firstly but there are also oscillations,and I don't know how to use Scattering BC +PML. Attached file is the model I'm following and it may help you. If you have any ideas please let me know, thank you.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.