Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Interpolation function in Geometry

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody!

I can't set the position of an object via a function definition in neither global definitions nor model definitions (in comsol 4.2a).

Does anybody know if user-defined functions aren't allowed in the geometry section?

Attached is a minimalistic model highlighting my problem.

Best Regards,

Magnus

1 Reply Last Post 28.05.2012, 04:17 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.05.2012, 04:17 GMT-4
Hi

that is a limitation in 4.2 and I'm afraid it is still so in 4.3. The reason I was told by "support" is that the functions and variabes are interprested during the solving sequence and not prior during geoemtry set up. Today you can ONLY use parameters to drive your geometry, and these must be defined in the Parameter section, BUT might be adapted by a Parametric Sweep (and not a solver continuation sweep) method.

To get it running your way I suppose you will HAVE TO pass via matlab and drive COMSOL from there, but then it should be now issue

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi that is a limitation in 4.2 and I'm afraid it is still so in 4.3. The reason I was told by "support" is that the functions and variabes are interprested during the solving sequence and not prior during geoemtry set up. Today you can ONLY use parameters to drive your geometry, and these must be defined in the Parameter section, BUT might be adapted by a Parametric Sweep (and not a solver continuation sweep) method. To get it running your way I suppose you will HAVE TO pass via matlab and drive COMSOL from there, but then it should be now issue -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.