Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

diffusion with a specialized boundary condition

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I think my question is fairly straightforward, I just can't seem to figure it out...

I am trying to model diffusion of particles from one region into another region. The two regions are separated by a boundary with two characteristics:
1) flux is fixed at zero in one direction
2) in the other direction, flux is defined in terms of a transmission probability. (for a given incoming particle, the particle has a specified probability of passing through, and a specified probability of bouncing back)

I understand how to describe the physics of each each region using a coefficient form PDE. Is a boundary such as described above a type of "weak constraint"? It seems like a simple situation, but I haven't yet found a way to implement this....

Thanks a lot for your help!

-scott

3 Replies Last Post 15.06.2012, 11:40 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 14.06.2012, 17:26 GMT-4
Hmm... this should be pretty simple, but I still haven't figured it out... can anyone help? How can I set up a boundary that allows diffusion in only one direction? Thanks a lot!

-scott
Hmm... this should be pretty simple, but I still haven't figured it out... can anyone help? How can I set up a boundary that allows diffusion in only one direction? Thanks a lot! -scott

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.06.2012, 00:59 GMT-4
Hi

often 1 line of text can translate into a few pages of math ;)
Unfortunately I cannot help like that, but have you tried to ask "support", here we are only users ...

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi often 1 line of text can translate into a few pages of math ;) Unfortunately I cannot help like that, but have you tried to ask "support", here we are only users ... -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.06.2012, 11:40 GMT-4

Hmm... this should be pretty simple, but I still haven't figured it out... can anyone help? How can I set up a boundary that allows diffusion in only one direction? Thanks a lot!

-scott

The diffusion coefficient can be set to vector. So just change the value of the direction that you dont want the diffusion occurs to be zero 0.

Cheers,
Dao
[QUOTE] Hmm... this should be pretty simple, but I still haven't figured it out... can anyone help? How can I set up a boundary that allows diffusion in only one direction? Thanks a lot! -scott [/QUOTE] The diffusion coefficient can be set to vector. So just change the value of the direction that you dont want the diffusion occurs to be zero 0. Cheers, Dao

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.