Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Two boundary layer meshes

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi! I am simulating the flow past a building. I wanted to have 2 boundary layer mesh settings. One is for the ground and the other one is for the building's walls. I did meshing as follows:
1. Add Free Tetrahedral to the whole domain and specify 'Size' for the Free Tetrahetral.
2. Add 'Distribution' to specify the number of grids on the walls of the building.
3. Add Boundary Layers, choose the ground, and specify the specifications.

If I did only these 3 steps, I get the boundary layer meshes on the ground. In addition, if I chose the ground and all walls of the buildings in step 3, I also get the boundary layer meshes on the ground and all the walls.

However, I examined the results and thought that I should try to use different specifications for the boundary layer meshs of the walls. So I add step 4 as follows
4. Left click on Mesh 1 node, select Boundary Layers.
5. On Boundary Layers 2, select all the walls and specify the specifications.

I found that the boundary layer meshes did not generated.

Do anyone know how to use 2 different boundary layer meshes?

Thank you.

Atit

1 Reply Last Post 19.06.2012, 16:31 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 19.06.2012, 16:31 GMT-4
Hi

its proably frpom the region where you boundary layers link in, if they are different they miht have problems to match at the borders between the 2 types. I mst admit I have never had to conider 2 types of boudary mesh elements, so far I have alwas managed with one type, but indded not all types of boundary shapes are accepted.

Boundary layers are not "thets" so at least in 4.2 there are some limtations on mapping operators across such layers

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi its proably frpom the region where you boundary layers link in, if they are different they miht have problems to match at the borders between the 2 types. I mst admit I have never had to conider 2 types of boudary mesh elements, so far I have alwas managed with one type, but indded not all types of boundary shapes are accepted. Boundary layers are not "thets" so at least in 4.2 there are some limtations on mapping operators across such layers -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.