Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Flow in a channel with changing cross section

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

I want to simulate a simple flow through a channel with changing cross section. If I have just a rectangle there is no problem and I get the expected parabola velocity field. Then I want to change the cross section somewhere so that the velocity raises. If I change it only a little bit, there is no problem. But if I change it about 50% or I get always errors like this:

Failed to find a Solution for all parameters
even when using the minimum parameter step

So what is the problem here? Do I have to change some parameters in the solver settings that Comsol can solve this one? Because this problem shouldn't be that complicated to solve.

1 Reply Last Post 20.06.2012, 15:45 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.06.2012, 15:45 GMT-4
Hi

how do your define your initial conditions ? all "0" ?
If so perhaps you can add some initial velocity and pressure drop
some models propose too many bifurcations, and COMSOl has no way to decide clearly left or right, but with some initial effects, the biffurcation decision is already done, and the convergence is ieasier (but not alsways, if its a time series, transient effects might occure and give solver issues
--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi how do your define your initial conditions ? all "0" ? If so perhaps you can add some initial velocity and pressure drop some models propose too many bifurcations, and COMSOl has no way to decide clearly left or right, but with some initial effects, the biffurcation decision is already done, and the convergence is ieasier (but not alsways, if its a time series, transient effects might occure and give solver issues -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.