Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

3D geometry problems: strange helix and "could not resolve domain relations" error

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone. I have some troubles to make my model and I hope someone can help me, because I am very new in Comsol and probably these problems are quite easy to solve.

I am trying to model an armored power cable (1 m length). The armor is composed by 44 steel wires (diameter of 10 mm) which are twisted with a particular pitch (see attached file). To avoid problems these wires are not in contact (see figure 3 on attached file), but building the geometry I have observed two problems:

1- Steel wires are formed by 44 helixes, but as can be seen in Figure 1, they look quite strange. In other situations the cross section of the steel wires are squares and not circles. However, when they are meshed, the final result is ok. Why they look strange on the geometry mode?

2- When I model the surrounding air with a cylinder (as I have seen in some comsol tutorials), I get an error message "could not resolve domain relations" (after a long time analyzing the model). What´s the problem? Can be related with how strange helixes are shown in the geometry mode? I am using "Form Union" with default relative repair tolerance.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

1 Reply Last Post 17.07.2012, 04:11 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.07.2012, 04:11 GMT-4
Can anybody help?
I have tried with spline and beizer to make the helix, but I get the same error when I insert the external cylinder. Without this cylinder there is no error, but I need it to model the sorrounding air, as what I am trying to analyze is the magnetic field generated by the three-phase power cable.

Any suggestion will be welcome.
Can anybody help? I have tried with spline and beizer to make the helix, but I get the same error when I insert the external cylinder. Without this cylinder there is no error, but I need it to model the sorrounding air, as what I am trying to analyze is the magnetic field generated by the three-phase power cable. Any suggestion will be welcome.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.