Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Micropipette Aspiration

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello all,

I'm trying to do a micropipette aspiration example for a liquid drop model of a cell (i.e. fluid held together by some surface tension). I was considering modeling the problem two ways: one as a solid mechanics problem, where both the surface of the cell (shell) and the pipette are modeled as solids; and the other as a fluid-structure problem where two fluids (water and air) interact with the pipette.

However, I can't figure out a way to model suction pressure (or its equivalent in the solid mechanics example). The model either does not behave as expected or I get a lot of convergence errors. I've tried applying a negative pressure to the boundary between the cell and the entrance of the pipette, but no luck there.

Here are the two models I've made:

www.dropbox.com/s/frsiaps9yzchx03/liquiddrop_4.1.mph
www.dropbox.com/s/39h41uytqn58hca/liquid_drop_borrowed_mod.mph

I'd appreciate some help on this. The expected result is that the cell should be fully aspirated into the pipette once the length of the protrusion of the cell exceeds the pipette's radius. Thanks.

- Ben M.

1 Reply Last Post 15.07.2012, 11:17 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 15.07.2012, 11:17 GMT-4
I hate to be a pain, but I'm just bumping this thread up to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

- Ben M.
I hate to be a pain, but I'm just bumping this thread up to see if anyone has any ideas. Thanks. - Ben M.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.