Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to load geometry and material?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to load a geometry and its material into RF Module. The geometry is a 3D box and is divided into many (e.g. 1000) small cubic pixels with the same size. Each pixel has a unique material property, say permittivity and conductivity. All of the material information (1000 permittivity and 1000 conductivity) is saved in two text files. Can anyone teach me how to load this?

Thank you.

Xin

4 Replies Last Post 30.09.2012, 08:17 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Xin Zhang

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.09.2012, 09:11 GMT-4
I just got a 14 day trial of version 4.3. I am now able to use the RF module to do some simple simulations. However, the simulation I hope COMSOL can tackle requires loading of geometry and material. Can someone please help me on this? I need this urgently since the trial only allows 14 days. If it turns out COMSOL can handle my simulations, my boss will but it for sure. Thank you very much.

Xin
I just got a 14 day trial of version 4.3. I am now able to use the RF module to do some simple simulations. However, the simulation I hope COMSOL can tackle requires loading of geometry and material. Can someone please help me on this? I need this urgently since the trial only allows 14 days. If it turns out COMSOL can handle my simulations, my boss will but it for sure. Thank you very much. Xin

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.09.2012, 14:51 GMT-4
Hi

unfortunately I do not know of any easy way to automatise this within COMSOL (but I do far not know everything about COMSOL ;), apart if perhaps your geoemtry is well defined, then you could set up some long formulas for the material that are spatialy dependent hence change the materials w.r.t. the position.

Another way is to write everything from Matlab, as then you have the programming language approach to systematise it.

On the other hand 1000 domains will require quite some meshing, you might run out of RAM before you get everything up.

My advice start simple, and go step by step, I agre 14 days is short for complex models

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi unfortunately I do not know of any easy way to automatise this within COMSOL (but I do far not know everything about COMSOL ;), apart if perhaps your geoemtry is well defined, then you could set up some long formulas for the material that are spatialy dependent hence change the materials w.r.t. the position. Another way is to write everything from Matlab, as then you have the programming language approach to systematise it. On the other hand 1000 domains will require quite some meshing, you might run out of RAM before you get everything up. My advice start simple, and go step by step, I agre 14 days is short for complex models -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.09.2012, 17:23 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

Thanks very much for your reply. Do you know where I can get a tutorial for the MATLAB LiveLink?

Thanks.

Xin
Hi Ivar, Thanks very much for your reply. Do you know where I can get a tutorial for the MATLAB LiveLink? Thanks. Xin

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.09.2012, 08:17 GMT-4
Hi

check the webinar list, and the videos ont he main COMSOL site we pages, or ask your rep

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi check the webinar list, and the videos ont he main COMSOL site we pages, or ask your rep -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.