Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

transmittance setting problem

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I have used comsol to simulate transmittance of a structure. And I have used two methodd to calculate transmittance. The first method is integration the input port and output port and then dividing then. But it is not a good method because of there is some reflection existing that would influence the result(although I set PML in the in the input side and output side). And the other method is that I set all the material of the structure to be air and then integrate the input boundary. And then I use this integration value as the input value of my structure. the material of input side is air so I think the latter one is a good method. I have tried many structure and they all work well except one structure I just simulated and found that the transmittance is bigger than 1. I don't know what the problem with my second method. I wonder if it is right.

Thank you.

4 Replies Last Post 07.09.2012, 14:00 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.09.2012, 20:06 GMT-4
you can use port boundary conditions. Then transmission coefficient is calculated automatically.
you can use port boundary conditions. Then transmission coefficient is calculated automatically.

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.09.2012, 20:46 GMT-4
But is it accurate? I have used the automatic method and find the result is the same as the first method I describe. So maybe the automatic method would not able to take the reflection case into account.
But is it accurate? I have used the automatic method and find the result is the same as the first method I describe. So maybe the automatic method would not able to take the reflection case into account.

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.09.2012, 12:16 GMT-4
Sure it is. Works just fine for plane waves if setup correctly.
Sure it is. Works just fine for plane waves if setup correctly.

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.09.2012, 14:00 GMT-4
but my power source is the electric dipole. So is it accurate in this case?
but my power source is the electric dipole. So is it accurate in this case?

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.