Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

numeric multiturn coil from sweep object

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi,

Currently I am trying to simulate a rather simple homogenized multiturn coil as shown in the attached .mph file. To build this coil, I have swept a filleted rectangle along a quarter of a rounded rectangle curve and then I have made a union with successive mirrored images of this sweep shape. I am wondering if this builds the coil correctly. There is a face at the junction between 2 quarters which I used as input for the coil analysis, but I am wondering if this is not the remaining of the face used for the sweep. I do not use any symmetry as in my final model they won't be any.

Unfortunately, when running the study, I receive the following error message and I don't know how to solve the problem.

• Feature: Stationary Solver 1 (sol3/s1) Failed to find a solution. In Segregated Step 2: The relative residual (0.85) is greater than the relative tolerance. There was a warning message from the linear solver. Iterative refinement triggered. Returned solution is not converged. Not all parameter steps returned.

Thanks a lot for any help,

Gilles

2 Replies Last Post 25.11.2022, 08:40 MEZ

Posted: 1 year ago 24.11.2022, 12:23 MEZ
Updated: 1 year ago 24.11.2022, 12:24 MEZ

Are you sure you don't want to use symmetry? The coil structure is symmetrical and you can simulate your coil using 3 planes of symmetry. The Physics (i.e. the current direction is not symmetrical, but that can be handled

I have made a few tweaks, see attached...

I simplified the mesh, made the infinite element domains swept, deleted the construction line used for the initial sweeped geometry... not sure which of those fixes made it solve without a hitch, but it solves very quickly now.

Edit: the attached file is version 6.1

Are you sure you don't want to use symmetry? The coil structure is symmetrical and you can simulate your coil using 3 planes of symmetry. The Physics (i.e. the current direction is not symmetrical, but that can be handled I have made a few tweaks, see attached... I simplified the mesh, made the infinite element domains swept, deleted the construction line used for the initial sweeped geometry... not sure which of those fixes made it solve without a hitch, but it solves very quickly now. Edit: the attached file is version 6.1

Posted: 1 year ago 25.11.2022, 08:40 MEZ

Hi Mark,

Many thanks for solving the problem(s). I agree that in this test, it would be better to use symmetries, but in my final study, I shall add other geometrical shapes which shall break the symmetry of the system.

Once again thanks a lot for fixing this !

Gilles

Hi Mark, Many thanks for solving the problem(s). I agree that in this test, it would be better to use symmetries, but in my final study, I shall add other geometrical shapes which shall break the symmetry of the system. Once again thanks a lot for fixing this ! Gilles

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.