Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Material Properties of PECH

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

what is the poisson's ratio,relative permittivity and young's modulus of poly(epichlorohydrin) (PECH)?

4 Replies Last Post 20.04.2023, 12:36 GMT-4
Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 19.04.2023, 09:03 GMT-4

Hi Hannah,

This is something that you need to find out. We don't have any PECH material in our material libraries at the moment. Also, this is a rubber/elastomer material, so there is really no Young’s modulus. Poisson’s ratio for rubbers is typically around 0.4.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Hannah, This is something that you need to find out. We don't have any PECH material in our material libraries at the moment. Also, this is a rubber/elastomer material, so there is really no Young’s modulus. Poisson’s ratio for rubbers is typically around 0.4. Best regards, Magnus

Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 19.04.2023, 21:57 GMT-4

Poisson’s ratio for rubbers is typically around 0.4.

I think you mean almost 0.5?

>Poisson’s ratio for rubbers is typically around 0.4. I think you mean almost 0.5?

Magnus Ringh COMSOL Employee

Posted: 1 year ago 20.04.2023, 11:05 GMT-4

Hi Hannah,

It seems like material properties for PECH materials are hard to get by. Perhaps you can reach out to this company, which manufactures PECH materials: https://www.zeonchemicals.com/.

Best regards,

Magnus

Hi Hannah, It seems like material properties for PECH materials are hard to get by. Perhaps you can reach out to this company, which manufactures PECH materials: . Best regards, Magnus

Edgar J. Kaiser Certified Consultant

Posted: 1 year ago 20.04.2023, 12:36 GMT-4

Hi,

knowledge of material properties is often an issue in physical modeling of either exotic materials or not so exotic materials in unusual applications. I often need to model magnetostriction in steel materials that are not typically used in magnetic applications. So the magnetostrictive function is not available. I can only use some generic function for the material class and must adapt it to my needs.

But often you can learn a lot already by applying an educated guess for the property you don't know. In your example you might try to set up the model using properties of a well known rubber-like material with similar properties, something that looks and feels similar to the desired material.

You can then study to what degree your system is sensitive to a certain property and you can investigate its impact over a reasonable range of that property in a parametric study.

In case you have measurement data you can try to optimize the material properties in order to match the measurement.

Just a few ideas to avoid getting totally stuck. Cheers Edgar

-------------------
Edgar J. Kaiser
emPhys Physical Technology
www.emphys.com
Hi, knowledge of material properties is often an issue in physical modeling of either exotic materials or not so exotic materials in unusual applications. I often need to model magnetostriction in steel materials that are not typically used in magnetic applications. So the magnetostrictive function is not available. I can only use some generic function for the material class and must adapt it to my needs. But often you can learn a lot already by applying an educated guess for the property you don't know. In your example you might try to set up the model using properties of a well known rubber-like material with similar properties, something that looks and feels similar to the desired material. You can then study to what degree your system is sensitive to a certain property and you can investigate its impact over a reasonable range of that property in a parametric study. In case you have measurement data you can try to optimize the material properties in order to match the measurement. Just a few ideas to avoid getting totally stuck. Cheers Edgar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.