Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Multi-material Topology Optimization

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I want to implement at topology optimization scheme that results in a multimaterial output in COMSOL. The reason I want to use COMSOL is because I have an existing topology optimization that relies on coupled structural and magnetic physics modules, but it can only decide between two materials. One material has a relative permeability of 1 but a lower Young's modulus, while the other has a relative permeability > 1, but a higher Young's modulus. I'd like to expand this to include void material (permeability = 1, E = 0) as well as the existing two materials.

Is it possible to implement a multi-material topology optimization scheme in COMSOL by modifying the interpolation type in the density model?

One method for doing this would be to modify the SIMP interpolation as described in this paper:

Zuo, W., Saitou, K. Multi-material topology optimization using ordered SIMP interpolation. Struct Multidisc Optim 55, 477–491 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s00158-016-1513-3

However, I am not sure this can be done with the user defined interpolation.

Thanks.

3 Replies Last Post 15.08.2023, 08:20 GMT-4
Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 9 months ago 03.08.2023, 04:26 GMT-4

Hi, do you have any reason to believe that it cannot be done?

Best regards, Kristian. E. Jensen, Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Hi, do you have any reason to believe that it cannot be done? Best regards, Kristian. E. Jensen, Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Acculution ApS Certified Consultant

Posted: 8 months ago 15.08.2023, 04:27 GMT-4

Can't you define it via the User defined Interpolation?

-------------------
René Christensen, PhD
Acculution ApS
www.acculution.com
info@acculution.com
Can't you define it via the User defined Interpolation?

Kristian Ejlebjærg Jensen COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 months ago 15.08.2023, 08:20 GMT-4

I can add that the if() and nif() operators can be used to define piecewise functions.

Best regards, Kristian. E. Jensen, Technical Product Manager, Optimization

I can add that the if() and nif() operators can be used to define piecewise functions. Best regards, Kristian. E. Jensen, Technical Product Manager, Optimization

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.