Extremely long calculation time for a temporal study of thermal expansion

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello ,

I'm a new user of comsol and i want to simulate the thermal expansion of an optical grating induced by the heat of a laser.

The problem that i encounter is that the time of calculation is extremely long. Indeed i lauched a simulation with 45 cpu and in 24 hours the simulation only made it to 95 seconds. Furthermore when i launch the simulation with only the heat flux module the calculation time is very fast on the order of a few seconds.

So i would like to know if i'm doing something wrong or if it is expected for this kind of study to requiere a long time of calculation.

You will find attach the mph file. Thank you in advance for your time

1 Reply Last Post 06.02.2024, 03:52 GMT-5
Henrik Sönnerlind COMSOL Employee

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 3 months ago 06.02.2024, 03:52 GMT-5

The solid is unconstrained, so the problem is singular. The solver will iterate for ever trying to find the non-unique solution.

-------------------
Henrik Sönnerlind
COMSOL
The solid is unconstrained, so the problem is singular. The solver will iterate for ever trying to find the non-unique solution.

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.