Flow electrode capacitive deionization (FCDI) modeling, coupling of flow and electric fields

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all. I've been teaching myself COMSOL recently, and I'm trying to model flow electrode capacitive deionization, where a graphite collector plate on both sides applies a transverse DC voltage perpendicular to the graphite plate, and ions in the intermediate solution channel move directionally through ion exchange membranes on both sides to the flow electrode (a mixture of sodium chloride solution and activated carbon particles) in the presence of an electric field. I tried to simulate the flowing electrode (a mixture of sodium chloride solution and activated carbon particles) with a mixture model, and at the same time, following the example of electrodialysis in this case library, I used a cubic current distribution physical field to simulate the distribution of the electric field or the distribution of the degree of polarisation of the graphite collector plate in the case where the graphite collector is energised on both sides. The flow field simulation was successful, but unfortunately the electric field simulation calculations never converged. I wonder if I am overlooking some details or if I am choosing the right physical field. Any input on the above would be appreciated!

Please read the discussion forum rules before posting.

Please log in to post a reply.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.