Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

comsol 3.5 Capacitance and permittivity calculation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everyone,
I 'm new to comsol and I've been trying to model a simple parallel plate capacitor with a mixture as dielectric. I wish to obtain the effective permittivity value of the mixture. Since 3.5 doesn't have capacitance calculation feature, I plan to calculate it using energy density. Then I should be able to obtain the effective permittivity value. I have completed the modeling but I don't know how to actually calculate the capacitance. Could someone please help me. The least bit of help would mean a lot to me.

1 Reply Last Post 20.08.2013, 07:14 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.08.2013, 07:14 GMT-4
Hi,

I've never used Comsol 3.5, but I guess is similar to the next versions. Thus, if you're working in 3D, you can create a 3D plot (from Results), then in the 3D plot you create a volume plot, and in that volume plot you define the value you want to plot, e.g. the energy density. But other than plot the model variables, you can also define an equation using the variables.

I hope this helps,

Regards
Hi, I've never used Comsol 3.5, but I guess is similar to the next versions. Thus, if you're working in 3D, you can create a 3D plot (from Results), then in the 3D plot you create a volume plot, and in that volume plot you define the value you want to plot, e.g. the energy density. But other than plot the model variables, you can also define an equation using the variables. I hope this helps, Regards

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.