Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Failed to find Solution

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I'm new at COMSOL and am having an issue using the simulator. I think it should be a relatively simple problem. I'm trying to simulate the stresses inside this thing I made after bringing it from a high temperature, like 600C or so, to room temperature. That's the final goal anyway. As of now though I'm just trying to get any sort of simulation to work. I get an error that's as follows:

The following feature has encountered a problem:

Failed to find a solution.
In segregated group 1:
The relative error (.41) is greater than the relative tolerance.
Returned solution is not converged.
-Feature: stationary Solver 1(sol1/s1)
-Error: Failed to find a solution.

This is what's in my log:

============================================================
Stationary Solver 1 in Solver 1 started at 8-Sep-2014 18:13:34.
Segregated solver
Number of degrees of freedom solved for: 91104.
Segregated solver iteration 1.
Substep 1, for group 1.
Symmetric matrices found.
Scales for dependent variables:
mod1.u: 1
Iter Damping Stepsize #Res #Jac #Sol
1 1.0000000 0.97 1 1 1
Stationary Solver 1 in Solver 1: Solution time: 1 s.

Attached is my file.

Thank you for any help.

0 Replies Last Post 08.09.2014, 18:22 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paul C

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.