Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Modeling a gas flow in the arcing chamber of high voltage circuit breaker

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!

I need to simulate a gas flow based on Euler equations.
The feature of this problem is that the chamber includes the nozzle, which accelerates the flow from subsonic to supersonic condition. Due to this the Reynolds number is very high.
In Model Library there is no such example, just models based on Navier-Stokes, but all of them are for low Reynolds numbers.
My questions are:
- Where can I get any examples of the flow based on Euler equations in 2D?
- I know I can use PDE mode, but its rather difficult to set the subdomain and boundary conditions for me. How can I do it for Euler equations? How can I set Euler equations in PDE mode? Any examples?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply Last Post 12.05.2010, 05:45 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.05.2010, 05:45 GMT-4
I think the reason why you see no example is that gas dynamic equations are VERY difficult to resolve numerically, specially with sonic transition. I dont think comsol solver can resolve them at the moment. But in principle you can try writting the pde ans see what happen..
I will be curious to see the results
my guess is that you wont get a solution
I f you look at the cfd module presentation somewhere on the comsol site, [ due in June ] you will see that euler equations are planned but ONLY for a future release.. so just being patient is another option you have.. :-)
JF
I think the reason why you see no example is that gas dynamic equations are VERY difficult to resolve numerically, specially with sonic transition. I dont think comsol solver can resolve them at the moment. But in principle you can try writting the pde ans see what happen.. I will be curious to see the results my guess is that you wont get a solution I f you look at the cfd module presentation somewhere on the comsol site, [ due in June ] you will see that euler equations are planned but ONLY for a future release.. so just being patient is another option you have.. :-) JF

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.