Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

PDE with imaginary part

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Dear all,

I have a question about solving the equation in the attached image.
Basically, it has a harmonic term (jw), where w is angular velocity, and c is a constant.
It is a part of equation for calculating an AC impedance.
Is there anyone who can explain to me how to solve this equation?

Thank you in advance.

4 Replies Last Post 29.05.2010, 13:52 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.05.2010, 02:31 GMT-4
write 2 coupled equations for real and imaginary part of A in pde modes
JF
write 2 coupled equations for real and imaginary part of A in pde modes JF

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.05.2010, 04:24 GMT-4
Dear JF,

Thank you for your reply.
So, you mean that I need to decompose the PDE into two equations, one of which is real part equation
and the other is imaginary part equation?

Could you give me some references or comsol example files on this subject if you happen to have ?

Thank you very much.

Yoon
Dear JF, Thank you for your reply. So, you mean that I need to decompose the PDE into two equations, one of which is real part equation and the other is imaginary part equation? Could you give me some references or comsol example files on this subject if you happen to have ? Thank you very much. Yoon

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.05.2010, 04:57 GMT-4
Hi

I'm not often using Comsol in that way, but its interesting to try so here re my comments live, how I would start, we will then see how far we come, pls check carefully as I might do stupid errors too ;)

1) as you have not defined the dimensions of "A" the dependent variable I'll start with 1D, you can always apply in 2D 2Daxi or 3D by analogy, do not forget that by default COMSOL is in cartesian representation and that you must apply coordinate transforms to be in spherical see the knowledge base on detals on coordinate transforms

2) the "jwA" tells me that we are in harmonic or eigenfrequency mode and then its to decide if we are to use the coefficient or General form of the PDE Modes, I'll use coefficient form to start with, even if COMSOL transforms it into general form internally

3) I'll use 3.5 and not 4, as the equations are better shown (for the moment, equations has been promished for futur updates of V4)

so =>
a) CM3.5 + New + 1D + PDE, Coefficient form + Eigenvalue analysis, + A as dependent variable + OK,
b) define C as a Constant "C"=1 to start with (upper case it's the one in your equation to distinguish from the COMSOL internal "c"
c) draw a line from "0" to "1" for the geometry
d) ignore materials
e) in subdomain Settings use c=1 alpha=gamma=0 a=C beta=0 f=0 ea=0 da=1, note lambda = j*w (for me but here I'm not sure, not explicitly written out in the doc)
f) you need to define the boundary conditions, by default Dirichlet at the two vertexes = 0
g) Solve

You get a nice first mode curve, in Postprocessing Plot Parameters you can change the different eigenvalue modes

In PDE General form I would use:
Gamma = -Ax , F = -C*A , ea=0 , da=1

Note in V4 the default boundary conditions are no flux Neumann, while in V3.5 it's Dirichlet 0 value

It looks certainly nice ;) It's certainly also mathematically correct w.r.t the definitions we put into COMSOL, but does it fit to your demand I do not really know, would have to write out and check by hand, no time just now

note that the spatial solution is A(x)=sqrt(2)*sin(1/pi*x) with temporal eigenmodes at 1+(n*pi)^2 (V3.5 case) sounds familar

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi I'm not often using Comsol in that way, but its interesting to try so here re my comments live, how I would start, we will then see how far we come, pls check carefully as I might do stupid errors too ;) 1) as you have not defined the dimensions of "A" the dependent variable I'll start with 1D, you can always apply in 2D 2Daxi or 3D by analogy, do not forget that by default COMSOL is in cartesian representation and that you must apply coordinate transforms to be in spherical see the knowledge base on detals on coordinate transforms 2) the "jwA" tells me that we are in harmonic or eigenfrequency mode and then its to decide if we are to use the coefficient or General form of the PDE Modes, I'll use coefficient form to start with, even if COMSOL transforms it into general form internally 3) I'll use 3.5 and not 4, as the equations are better shown (for the moment, equations has been promished for futur updates of V4) so => a) CM3.5 + New + 1D + PDE, Coefficient form + Eigenvalue analysis, + A as dependent variable + OK, b) define C as a Constant "C"=1 to start with (upper case it's the one in your equation to distinguish from the COMSOL internal "c" c) draw a line from "0" to "1" for the geometry d) ignore materials e) in subdomain Settings use c=1 alpha=gamma=0 a=C beta=0 f=0 ea=0 da=1, note lambda = j*w (for me but here I'm not sure, not explicitly written out in the doc) f) you need to define the boundary conditions, by default Dirichlet at the two vertexes = 0 g) Solve You get a nice first mode curve, in Postprocessing Plot Parameters you can change the different eigenvalue modes In PDE General form I would use: Gamma = -Ax , F = -C*A , ea=0 , da=1 Note in V4 the default boundary conditions are no flux Neumann, while in V3.5 it's Dirichlet 0 value It looks certainly nice ;) It's certainly also mathematically correct w.r.t the definitions we put into COMSOL, but does it fit to your demand I do not really know, would have to write out and check by hand, no time just now note that the spatial solution is A(x)=sqrt(2)*sin(1/pi*x) with temporal eigenmodes at 1+(n*pi)^2 (V3.5 case) sounds familar Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.05.2010, 13:52 GMT-4
Dear Ivar

I appreciate your kind explanation. I will try your method and post results if they are useful.

Yoon
Dear Ivar I appreciate your kind explanation. I will try your method and post results if they are useful. Yoon

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.