Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Distortion after CAD-file import

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

i have imported a CAD Data file (parasolid) which was constructed with Solidworks to Comsol 4.0.
The assembly consists of two parts. one thin layer (thickness: 0.02 mm, a high resistive medium) in which a circular hole (radius: 0.125mm) is included. In this hole the second part ( thickness: 0.02 mm, pads with same radius as hole) is located.

After the import to Comsol the structure looks like the following.
The circumferences of the hole of the thin layer are distorted (torsion) , however the pad can be identified by a nice circular shape.

Does anybody know why this occur and how do i can adapt the thin layer to the hole (like perfectly aligned as assembled in Solidworks)? As i understand now, i am only able to delete faces and so on, but not adapt the geometry somehow?

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Severin

2 Replies Last Post 31.05.2010, 16:47 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 29.05.2010, 05:03 GMT-4
Hi

there should be no distortions when you import parasolids from SolidWorks, I havent tried it out extensively yet for small features for V4. In V3.5 you need to check the "repair" tolerance, there is certainly one in V4 too.

Do you mind distributing your x_t for us other to try too ?

Or send it to support, so they could check, but pls keep us oher here informed if there is a trick or a bug ;)

Have fun Comsoling
Ivar
Hi there should be no distortions when you import parasolids from SolidWorks, I havent tried it out extensively yet for small features for V4. In V3.5 you need to check the "repair" tolerance, there is certainly one in V4 too. Do you mind distributing your x_t for us other to try too ? Or send it to support, so they could check, but pls keep us oher here informed if there is a trick or a bug ;) Have fun Comsoling Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 31.05.2010, 16:47 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

after a few hours of try and error I have found out that with an graphics card driver update the problem can be solved.

Thanks for your help,

Severin
Hi Ivar, after a few hours of try and error I have found out that with an graphics card driver update the problem can be solved. Thanks for your help, Severin

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.