Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heaviside function help

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I am having a technical problem with the heaviside step function in COMSOL.

My model is composed of a transient, Darcy flow (pressure) problem. I have attached the model.

There are two subdomains; namely rock and fluid. The permeabilities are 1e-22 and 1e-10, respectively. This is a pressure decay experiment, i.e. the fluid is given an initial pressure of 1 (normalized) and the rock is maintained at 0 (t=0).

I noticed that the pressure oscillates when being solved and realize that this is a stability problem (a numerical abberation) which generates a negative pulse wave and a sudden drop inside the fluid cavity at the first timestep.

I realize that this can be solved with brute force, i.e. mesh discretization and timestep control. But this will only work for unidirectional flow patterns and not bi-directional flow patterns. bi-directional flow would occur if the fluid cavity was smaller than the rock sample.

Could anyone help me define a heaviside step function that can control the negative pressure fluctuations in this problem?

my email address is pa.selvadurai@gmail.com

Thanks,

Paul Selvadurai

0 Replies Last Post 03.06.2010, 16:13 GMT-4
COMSOL Moderator

Hello Paul Selvadurai

Your Discussion has gone 30 days without a reply. If you still need help with COMSOL and have an on-subscription license, please visit our Support Center for help.

If you do not hold an on-subscription license, you may find an answer in another Discussion or in the Knowledge Base.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.