Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Electrostatic Membrane deflection, electrode placement errors

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi All,

I am modeling a 2D simplified cMUT device. I am starting with a simple fixed-fixed beam with electrodes (1) at the top of the beam/membrane (Electric Potential), and (2) at the surface of the contact (Ground).

It is essentially the same as the example COMSOL model **2D Cantilever Beam, MEMS Actuator**, except with some modifications.

******My problem is:*******
When I modify this COMSOL example model by fixing both ends of the beam and placing the Electric Potential at the top of the beam (the example model has it at the bottom), I receive errors and the solution does not converge.

Just a guess, but I've noticed that the difference between my model and the original COMSOL model are the "Exterior electric Maxwell Stress tensors", and "Surface Charge Density" equations, with respect to which boundary has an electric potential and which one does not (these equations can be found in Equation Systems > Boundary Settings > Variables ).

Basically, I just want to run the model with the electrode on top of the membrane, as this is how a cMUT device is usually designed. Any suggestions would be great!!

1 Reply Last Post 22.06.2010, 20:00 GMT-4

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 22.06.2010, 20:00 GMT-4
For anyone else with a similar problem, refer to this link...

www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/2525/
For anyone else with a similar problem, refer to this link... http://www.comsol.com/community/forums/general/thread/2525/

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.