Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

"square/rectangle" pulse generation in V 3.5a

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi
I am trying to provide a square voltage pulse into my model. Does anyone know how to provide a rectangular or sinusoidal signal ? I am using 3.5a V.

Thanks

4 Replies Last Post 20.06.2011, 13:41 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.07.2010, 08:44 GMT-4
Rectangular pulse should be difficult, if not impossible. Try checking if they have heaviside functions in Comsol. But even then, I am unsure if you would be able to have high enough sampling to capture that jump discontinuity. I would rather suggest you to think along a ramp pulse which has the added advantage of being physically possible.

Providing sinusoidal signal is easy. Use sin(f0*t) by specifying the value of frequency f0. I would also suggest you to search this topic in forum's archive. There should be something interesting.

All the best.
Rectangular pulse should be difficult, if not impossible. Try checking if they have heaviside functions in Comsol. But even then, I am unsure if you would be able to have high enough sampling to capture that jump discontinuity. I would rather suggest you to think along a ramp pulse which has the added advantage of being physically possible. Providing sinusoidal signal is easy. Use sin(f0*t) by specifying the value of frequency f0. I would also suggest you to search this topic in forum's archive. There should be something interesting. All the best.

Posted: 1 decade ago 12.10.2010, 07:43 GMT-4
Hi!

If I understood you correctly, you can define square pulse of duration 'pulse_width' and pulse period of 'pulse_period' just simply by the following variable
pulseON=(mod(t,pulse_period)<=pulse_width)

Then you just multiply your time-dependent variable with pulseON.
flow_pulsed = flow * pulseON

let's say
pulse_width = 1 s
pulse_period = 5 s

then for
t = 0.5 s pulseON = 1
t = 1 pulseON = 1
t = 3 pulseON = 0
t = 10.5 pulseON = 1
t = 22 pulseON = 0

Hope I got you right.
Hi! If I understood you correctly, you can define square pulse of duration 'pulse_width' and pulse period of 'pulse_period' just simply by the following variable pulseON=(mod(t,pulse_period)

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.05.2011, 14:41 GMT-4
Hi,
I wonder if you manged to solve the problem
Hi, I wonder if you manged to solve the problem

Posted: 1 decade ago 20.06.2011, 13:41 GMT-4
Dear Andriy:

I tried to use the suggestion given by you on the blog and also tried to implement different suggestions on the Comsol Forum , but I havenot achieved desired result.

My Objective: Pulse width = 0.5ms, frequency = 10Hz, period = 1/frequency = 0.1s. Heating for 1sec and cooling for 5 sec.

Baed on your suggestion, pulseON=(mod(t,pulse_period)<=pulse_width), which is writen in my model as follows

Heat flux = avg_pd_new1 = avg_pd*(mod(t,0.1)<=5e-4)

My problem is : Even if I get the plot of pulse train of frequecy 10Hz and pulse width 0.5 ms, which I can plot on analytic function (an1), but my output remains ON only for the first pulse and rest is OFF.

Also, I did tried several other suggestion, which is plot in analytic function as an2,an3

Please suggest me some solution. I am attaching my model for reference.

Regards,
Hitesh
Dear Andriy: I tried to use the suggestion given by you on the blog and also tried to implement different suggestions on the Comsol Forum , but I havenot achieved desired result. My Objective: Pulse width = 0.5ms, frequency = 10Hz, period = 1/frequency = 0.1s. Heating for 1sec and cooling for 5 sec. Baed on your suggestion, pulseON=(mod(t,pulse_period)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.