Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Heat transfer

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I was just curious what the difference between ambient temperature and external temperature was. I am attempting to model the heat transfer through a thin sheet of aluminum using the heat transfer>conduction module in 3d. We are assuming the aluminium is placed in a vacuum with the walls of the vacuum at 170K. The initial temperature of the aluminum is 500K.

1 Reply Last Post 13.07.2010, 13:30 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.07.2010, 13:30 GMT-4
Hi

from what I remember you have T (or local/standard temperature dependent variable) and Tempref (for V3.5a), the reference temperature for differential thermal stress/strain. And you have External temperature Text for heat exchange i.e. convective cooling etc, and then ambient Temperature for heat radiative exchange Tamb.

Finally only T the "Temperature" is a dependent variable, the others are normally fixed or boundary conditions value

Hope this helps
Ivr
Hi from what I remember you have T (or local/standard temperature dependent variable) and Tempref (for V3.5a), the reference temperature for differential thermal stress/strain. And you have External temperature Text for heat exchange i.e. convective cooling etc, and then ambient Temperature for heat radiative exchange Tamb. Finally only T the "Temperature" is a dependent variable, the others are normally fixed or boundary conditions value Hope this helps Ivr

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.