Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Creating Pairs and Imprints

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!!

I am trying to simulate a fuel cell in COMSOL, so I have different subdomains that it is interesting for me to mesh them separately. Then, I have to use pairs and imprints. My problem is summarizing as follows:

- Two subdomains: 1 and 2

- Model A only in subdomain 1 and Model B only in subdomain 2

- A condition that depends on variables from Model B must be specified for Model A in the boundary that separates both subdomains and viceversa.

If I didn't use pairs, there would be no problem because the boundary belongs to the two regions involved. However, if I use pairs I get two different boundaries, one corresponding to the subdomain 1 and another corresponding to the subdomain 2. These boundaries are coupled using the pair option, but it is not active because the two subdomains don't have a model in common, so I have to specify the boundary condition for model A on its corresponding surface and the same for model B. If I try to solve, I get an error because variables from model A don´t exist in subdomain 2.

Does it have a solution, or is it impossible to create pairs in this case?

1 Reply Last Post 13.07.2010, 16:37 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 13.07.2010, 16:37 GMT-4
Hi

I believe you should use extrusion coupling variables, and express your boundary conditions as an addition weak form expression along the common boundary. The former alloews you to define global variables that have meaning in the other application mode / physics

Check the way COMSOL sets up boundary consitions for an assembly with pairs and the same physics, by studying the "Physics - Equation settings ..."

Good luck
Ivar
Hi I believe you should use extrusion coupling variables, and express your boundary conditions as an addition weak form expression along the common boundary. The former alloews you to define global variables that have meaning in the other application mode / physics Check the way COMSOL sets up boundary consitions for an assembly with pairs and the same physics, by studying the "Physics - Equation settings ..." Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.