Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

COMSOL could model all kinds of radiation source? black body radiation?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

COMSOL's training engineer claimed that COMSOL could model all kinds of radiation source on the boundary.

But when it goes to the black body radiation, it looks like not so easy.

in the concentrated solar or thermal PV area, the lighting source is the sun or a high temperature back body radiator, it is a continuity wavelength and all solid angle radiation. and the simulation with these high luminous intensity should consider all the rays at the same time.

could COMOSL, as a professional multi-couple software, model a black radiator and how?

thank you for any suggestions and help.

2 Replies Last Post 16.07.2010, 06:57 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.07.2010, 05:58 GMT-4
Hi

radiative exchange is always "difficult" because you must get all related view factors and mutual echange factors correct. For simple geoemtry this is possible, by using the coupling integration variable, but for more complex geoemtries it becomes tedious. I do not know of any "simple" software for radiative exchange.

But for simple geoemtries COMSOl is OK and does the job, and easier than others. See the doc
Good luck
Ivar
Hi radiative exchange is always "difficult" because you must get all related view factors and mutual echange factors correct. For simple geoemtry this is possible, by using the coupling integration variable, but for more complex geoemtries it becomes tedious. I do not know of any "simple" software for radiative exchange. But for simple geoemtries COMSOl is OK and does the job, and easier than others. See the doc Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.07.2010, 06:57 GMT-4
Hi,

assuming a (diffuse) black or gray body radiation is the "simplest" form of thermal radiation. No special wavelength or angle depdending stuff is required because the spectrum is defined by the black body radiation and the dependence of direction can be derived from lambertian beam pattern (cosine law).

I think, COMSOL can handle this, but only if you purchase the heat transfer module ...

Using this module, COMSOL provides calculation of the view factors by direct integration (no attention to shadows) or by the hemicube method (some kind of ray tracing -> with shadowing).

However, I hope COMSOL handles black body radiation correctly, because i'm using it right now :)
Hi, assuming a (diffuse) black or gray body radiation is the "simplest" form of thermal radiation. No special wavelength or angle depdending stuff is required because the spectrum is defined by the black body radiation and the dependence of direction can be derived from lambertian beam pattern (cosine law). I think, COMSOL can handle this, but only if you purchase the heat transfer module ... Using this module, COMSOL provides calculation of the view factors by direct integration (no attention to shadows) or by the hemicube method (some kind of ray tracing -> with shadowing). However, I hope COMSOL handles black body radiation correctly, because i'm using it right now :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.