Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

When do we have to use the Moving Mesh (ALE) module?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering when do we have to use the Moving Mesh (ALE) module...

I mean, if we are doing a frequency domain study of a MEMS, do we have to use it? The MEMS is only "vibrating", is it necessary?

And what about and stationary study?

If we are trying to calculate the pull-in voltage of an structure? (from what I have read the ALE method is not good if we are trying to calculate the pull-in)

Can someone give us a hand with that?

Thanks & have fun!

1 Reply Last Post 28.07.2010, 10:04 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 28.07.2010, 10:04 GMT-4
Hi

I'm not sure there are any general answer, but I would say if you have one part flexing you do not need ALE, if you have one part surrounded by another volume of fluid, or air, and your part is flexing or moving alot pulling the mesh of the other part (i.e. several times the mesh size) then probably ALE is better and would allow to get easier convergence.

Check the doc, and use an indexed search on the pdf files, as you will find different info at many places for the differen physics

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I'm not sure there are any general answer, but I would say if you have one part flexing you do not need ALE, if you have one part surrounded by another volume of fluid, or air, and your part is flexing or moving alot pulling the mesh of the other part (i.e. several times the mesh size) then probably ALE is better and would allow to get easier convergence. Check the doc, and use an indexed search on the pdf files, as you will find different info at many places for the differen physics -- Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.