Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Parametric Geometry: How to select all domains?

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

making use of the possibility to have parameters and functions in the geometry definition, I have set up a real parametric model geometry. In this geometry, I duplicate single instances by using the array transform. The array size is one free parameter. Now, in the following step in the sequence, I'd like to add all of the generated objects into one union. This apparently doesn't work when I change the parameter of the array size. Because: I have to select all single result objects of the array transform to put them into the union. If the number of objects changes (especially when they increase), some objects are left out, because they were not known at the time I made the selection.

Anybody understand my explanation?

So, my simple question: Is there a way to tell a union operation to use just all available objects, without having to select them all one by one explicitly?

Regards
Matthias

2 Replies Last Post 26.08.2010, 02:14 GMT-4
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 25.08.2010, 10:30 GMT-4
Hi

I do not fully understand if you are in the graphic GUI (then you have Ctrl+A and Ctrl+D to select all, respectively deselect all, in V3.5 as for 4, unfortunately this works ONLY in the graphics window to now, would be nice to have it in the list windowS too ;)

I have noticed too that in V4 the "hide" object allows you to "box select only parts", and you have access to the hidden part list in the "view" model tree node (but there is still no cut&paste, or add selection list (yet ;)

But if you are in matlab/script, you need to keep control of the indirect index lists (I found rather tricky in 3.5, still do not know how to in V4)

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi I do not fully understand if you are in the graphic GUI (then you have Ctrl+A and Ctrl+D to select all, respectively deselect all, in V3.5 as for 4, unfortunately this works ONLY in the graphics window to now, would be nice to have it in the list windowS too ;) I have noticed too that in V4 the "hide" object allows you to "box select only parts", and you have access to the hidden part list in the "view" model tree node (but there is still no cut&paste, or add selection list (yet ;) But if you are in matlab/script, you need to keep control of the indirect index lists (I found rather tricky in 3.5, still do not know how to in V4) -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 26.08.2010, 02:14 GMT-4
Hi Ivar,

thanks for your reply. I will try to clarify my point.

Yes, I am in the GUI.

Think of the geometry definition as a sort of graphically defined script to create the geometry. It can make use of global parameters (with COMSOL 4, you can put formulas and parameters everywhere in the geometry definition).

When you change one of the parameters, the geometry changes instantly.

I have attached a simplified example. Please go step by step through the geometry definition and see what happens.

Then change the parameters. If you increase the array sizes n or m, you'll see what I mean.

Regards,
Matthias
Hi Ivar, thanks for your reply. I will try to clarify my point. Yes, I am in the GUI. Think of the geometry definition as a sort of graphically defined script to create the geometry. It can make use of global parameters (with COMSOL 4, you can put formulas and parameters everywhere in the geometry definition). When you change one of the parameters, the geometry changes instantly. I have attached a simplified example. Please go step by step through the geometry definition and see what happens. Then change the parameters. If you increase the array sizes n or m, you'll see what I mean. Regards, Matthias

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.