Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Question about UWVF in acoustics

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all

I am using UWVF in the acoustic module to model the sound field in an enclosure resulted from a point source.

It is recommended the grid size should be on the order of the wavelength for UWVF, and it works quite well for the 2D cases. But for 3D cases, it is just so hard to get convergence. I had to make the grid size smaller than half of the wavelength, and there are just so many degress of freedom to solve. Any one knows why this happens?

Thanks
Yun

1 Reply Last Post 11.10.2010, 08:47 MESZ

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Posted: 1 decade ago 11.10.2010, 08:47 MESZ
Hi
I think one of the tutorials in the acoustic module says that you need about 4.5 or 5 elements per wavelength.
i am not sure of this, but the way i "see the problem" is like fitting a sinus to some points and to have enough you need about 5 to make an exact solution.
I guess the 3d don't make the situation any better... :(

Good luck and best regards
Kim Folmer Andersen
Hi I think one of the tutorials in the acoustic module says that you need about 4.5 or 5 elements per wavelength. i am not sure of this, but the way i "see the problem" is like fitting a sinus to some points and to have enough you need about 5 to make an exact solution. I guess the 3d don't make the situation any better... :( Good luck and best regards Kim Folmer Andersen

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.