Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Poisson ratio,v=0.5

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi all,

I tried to do simulation with PDMS diaphragm with 2-D axial stress-strain model.
However, when i insert my poisson ratio to 0.5 in material tab,
It will appeared error 7248.Undefined value found.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks

5 Replies Last Post 21.01.2016, 11:50 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.11.2010, 03:18 GMT-4
well I will suggest that before using comsol [ or any other code for that matters...[l you check a book on elasticity theory...

poisson ratio CANNOT be 0.5 as part of its definition in the context of linear elasticity theory..

comsol has nothing to do with that...

jf
well I will suggest that before using comsol [ or any other code for that matters...[l you check a book on elasticity theory... poisson ratio CANNOT be 0.5 as part of its definition in the context of linear elasticity theory.. comsol has nothing to do with that... jf

Posted: 1 decade ago 06.11.2010, 03:25 GMT-4
Thanks for your advice jf.
However, the poison ratio I direct get from PDMS substance which I consider constant in my case.
I now just place the poisson ratio as 0.49, I know it sound stupid but I cant find any solution for that.

Any advice?

Many thanks.

Regards,
PS
Thanks for your advice jf. However, the poison ratio I direct get from PDMS substance which I consider constant in my case. I now just place the poisson ratio as 0.49, I know it sound stupid but I cant find any solution for that. Any advice? Many thanks. Regards, PS

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.11.2010, 05:08 GMT-5
Hi

if you works with Poisson nu close to 0.5, it could be worth trying with the "Nearly incompressible material" check on, this will add the pressure field and mostly the solver will converge better, but as François said, check the structural doc carefully to really understand what you are asking for

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you works with Poisson nu close to 0.5, it could be worth trying with the "Nearly incompressible material" check on, this will add the pressure field and mostly the solver will converge better, but as François said, check the structural doc carefully to really understand what you are asking for -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 8 years ago 21.01.2016, 10:48 GMT-5
PLEASE try 0.49, it works.
PLEASE try 0.49, it works.

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 8 years ago 21.01.2016, 11:50 GMT-5
Even if you are able to get a solution at nu=.49, you should still consider using the Nearly Incompressible Formulation whenever nu is close to .5, because for a given mesh you will get a much more accurate solution (especially noticeable in stress plots). Like others have already mentioned, there is abundant literature on this topic. Pick up just about any textbook on the finite element method; what we're talking about here is called the "locking" phenomenon for incompressible or near-incompressible materials and the remedy is to use a "u-p" (or "mixed") formulation (which is what is triggered by checking the "Nearly Incompressible Formulation" checkbox in COMSOL). For instance, the topic is covered in Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, 2nd edition, 1992, page 276 and following.
Jeff
Even if you are able to get a solution at nu=.49, you should still consider using the Nearly Incompressible Formulation whenever nu is close to .5, because for a given mesh you will get a much more accurate solution (especially noticeable in stress plots). Like others have already mentioned, there is abundant literature on this topic. Pick up just about any textbook on the finite element method; what we're talking about here is called the "locking" phenomenon for incompressible or near-incompressible materials and the remedy is to use a "u-p" (or "mixed") formulation (which is what is triggered by checking the "Nearly Incompressible Formulation" checkbox in COMSOL). For instance, the topic is covered in Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, 2nd edition, 1992, page 276 and following. Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.