Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

A Basic Q regarding the Solver Manager

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hi!
This is likely to be a trivial question, but I haven't managed to sort out the answer by myself...

I'm using a 2D structural mechanics smpn module.
I'm working on Comsol 3.5a and 4.a, but I'd rather work on version 3.5a in this case.

My Q is pretty general, but for the record I'll just say I'm trying to solve a very simple geometry (a square) of a viscoelastic material. Thus, I'm using the Time Dependent Solver.

I would like to:
1) Solve with a time dependent solver with range(1,0.001,1.5) + a certain deformation gradient (which I had defined under Global expressions).

2) BASED on the former solutions from the first solver, I would like to use a second time dependent solver with a new range(1.5, 0.001, 2) + a different deformation gradient (which means that this time I would like to change some values under global expressions).

In short, I would like to solve a problem using one solver with a certain range, store these solutions and based on these solutions stored to use a second solver, with a continuous range and a changed variable.

I know the answer hides under "Solver Manager" and "Sequential Solver". However, I've already read about it in the help section and unfortunately, nothing seems to work.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what steps should I take in order for this to work?

Thank you very much,
Tal

4 Replies Last Post 08.11.2010, 07:45 GMT-5
Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.11.2010, 05:10 GMT-5
Hi

My impression is that you could be able to run either in two sequences with a "store" in between, or just link both with two range() functions in the time stepper, nothing says you should use the same step for the full sequence.

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi My impression is that you could be able to run either in two sequences with a "store" in between, or just link both with two range() functions in the time stepper, nothing says you should use the same step for the full sequence. -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 07.11.2010, 09:16 GMT-5

Hi

My impression is that you could be able to run either in two sequences with a "store" in between, or just link both with two range() functions in the time stepper, nothing says you should use the same step for the full sequence.

--
Good luck
Ivar

Dear Ivar,

Let's say I would like to choose the first option you offered - run either two sequences with a "store" in between - May you please be more specific and provide me with the certain steps I'm should do in order to make it work?

This is not the issue of using the same step for the full sequence, but it is the fact that between the first solving and the second solving - the geometry stays the same, but the deformation values are different (I would like to manually change the values of the deformation gradient between the two runs).
[QUOTE] Hi My impression is that you could be able to run either in two sequences with a "store" in between, or just link both with two range() functions in the time stepper, nothing says you should use the same step for the full sequence. -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Dear Ivar, Let's say I would like to choose the first option you offered - run either two sequences with a "store" in between - May you please be more specific and provide me with the certain steps I'm should do in order to make it work? This is not the issue of using the same step for the full sequence, but it is the fact that between the first solving and the second solving - the geometry stays the same, but the deformation values are different (I would like to manually change the values of the deformation gradient between the two runs).

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.11.2010, 01:15 GMT-5
Hi

if you want to change something (numerical values) from the first run, then I would say you do your first run, save it to matlab, adapt it and save it back to COMSOl to start again from there, I do not believe you can rewrite onto a solution within COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar
Hi if you want to change something (numerical values) from the first run, then I would say you do your first run, save it to matlab, adapt it and save it back to COMSOl to start again from there, I do not believe you can rewrite onto a solution within COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar

Posted: 1 decade ago 08.11.2010, 07:45 GMT-5

Hi

if you want to change something (numerical values) from the first run, then I would say you do your first run, save it to matlab, adapt it and save it back to COMSOl to start again from there, I do not believe you can rewrite onto a solution within COMSOL

--
Good luck
Ivar

Thank You Ivar :)
[QUOTE] Hi if you want to change something (numerical values) from the first run, then I would say you do your first run, save it to matlab, adapt it and save it back to COMSOl to start again from there, I do not believe you can rewrite onto a solution within COMSOL -- Good luck Ivar [/QUOTE] Thank You Ivar :)

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.