Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

[Electrostatic 3.5a]Capacitance variation

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello
I realized 3D model with 2 parallel blocks, one is the capacitor and the second is the mass. I must calculate the capacitance between two objects so i assign these boundary conditions:
Capacitor: Port number 1

3 Replies Last Post 17.10.2009, 17:11 GMT-4

Posted: 1 decade ago 16.10.2009, 06:42 GMT-4
Sorry I had some troubles with pc...so I continue to explain:

Capacitor: Port number 1
Input property:forced voltage
I also use it as input , 1V
Mass Port number 2
Input prop, forced voltage
I create a third block that simulate the environment(boundaries condition for environment zero charge/symmetry) and at the end I launch the analysis.
In global variables I find ther capacitance between the 2 blocks C12_emes and i find the results that is around the value of experimental evaluation. The problem is that if I change the dimensions of the environment block with the same conditions I find different values of capacitance.
So I would ask if i make some errors in the simulation.
Thank you in advance

Luca
Sorry I had some troubles with pc...so I continue to explain: Capacitor: Port number 1 Input property:forced voltage I also use it as input , 1V Mass Port number 2 Input prop, forced voltage I create a third block that simulate the environment(boundaries condition for environment zero charge/symmetry) and at the end I launch the analysis. In global variables I find ther capacitance between the 2 blocks C12_emes and i find the results that is around the value of experimental evaluation. The problem is that if I change the dimensions of the environment block with the same conditions I find different values of capacitance. So I would ask if i make some errors in the simulation. Thank you in advance Luca

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.10.2009, 07:13 GMT-4
Does the "environment" block encompass your two other blocks (your blocks are within the environment block?)

Remember when dealing with capacitances you get fringe fields and depending on your seperation between the capcitor block and the mass block the fringe fields may be interacting with the boundaries of the environment block, therefore as you change the enviroment block dimensions your capacitance value changes.

Make you environment block as large as possible, certainly the distance of one of your enviro block walls to either the cap or mass block should be at least twice the seperation distance from between cap block and mass block.

Hope this helps?

Regards,
Tom
Does the "environment" block encompass your two other blocks (your blocks are within the environment block?) Remember when dealing with capacitances you get fringe fields and depending on your seperation between the capcitor block and the mass block the fringe fields may be interacting with the boundaries of the environment block, therefore as you change the enviroment block dimensions your capacitance value changes. Make you environment block as large as possible, certainly the distance of one of your enviro block walls to either the cap or mass block should be at least twice the seperation distance from between cap block and mass block. Hope this helps? Regards, Tom

Ivar KJELBERG COMSOL Multiphysics(r) fan, retired, former "Senior Expert" at CSEM SA (CH)

Posted: 1 decade ago 17.10.2009, 17:11 GMT-4
Hi

have you checked out the latest models in the "ModelExchange" ? I believe you can find some useful hints there ! Konrad Walus of University of British Columbia has just deposited quite some nice models there

Good luck
Ivar
Hi have you checked out the latest models in the "ModelExchange" ? I believe you can find some useful hints there ! Konrad Walus of University of British Columbia has just deposited quite some nice models there Good luck Ivar

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.