Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

How to draw multi axis-symmetric coils

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

Hello,

I would like to draw 2D multiturn coils which has two different axis but axisymmetric each.
(I'd like to realize misalignment of two coils)

Could I draw those figures using 2D-axisymmetric ?
or
Do I have to use 3D?

Please suggest a proper model.

Best regards,

Sung

5 Replies Last Post 06.06.2017, 02:53 GMT-4
Dave Greve Certified Consultant

Posted: 7 years ago 01.06.2017, 15:14 GMT-4
> Do I have to use 3D?

Yes.
> Do I have to use 3D? Yes.

Posted: 7 years ago 01.06.2017, 18:58 GMT-4
Thank you for your response.

It's miserable.

3D requires so many run-time and these kind of symmetric shapes don't have to spend such a long time to simulate.

I wonder if there's any way to generate axis symmetric configuration in 2D.
or could you suggest some idea to realize or approximate in 2D?

Thank you for your response. It's miserable. 3D requires so many run-time and these kind of symmetric shapes don't have to spend such a long time to simulate. I wonder if there's any way to generate axis symmetric configuration in 2D. or could you suggest some idea to realize or approximate in 2D?

Posted: 7 years ago 05.06.2017, 03:04 GMT-4
If your problem is stationary and also contains no other magnetic materials (i.e. just the coils themselves, then either Air or Vacuum or other materials with relative permeability of 1), then you could potentially model both coils independently in 2D axisymmetric, then combine the results using an appropriate co-ordinate transform, as the resulting field will just be the vector addition of the field from the 2 coils.

With care, it is not too onerous to model this in 3D, depending on the complexity of your model.
If your problem is stationary and also contains no other magnetic materials (i.e. just the coils themselves, then either Air or Vacuum or other materials with relative permeability of 1), then you could potentially model both coils independently in 2D axisymmetric, then combine the results using an appropriate co-ordinate transform, as the resulting field will just be the vector addition of the field from the 2 coils. With care, it is not too onerous to model this in 3D, depending on the complexity of your model.

Posted: 7 years ago 05.06.2017, 10:12 GMT-4
Updated: 7 years ago 05.06.2017, 10:16 GMT-4
Thank you for your response.

I tried to design two 2D axisymmetric models (component 1 and component 2 having different 'r' axis for realizing misalignment ) and combine the results as you recommended.

Could you explain in detail how to combine the results of two separate 2D axisymmetric results?

I really appreciate it.

Best regards,

Sung
Thank you for your response. I tried to design two 2D axisymmetric models (component 1 and component 2 having different 'r' axis for realizing misalignment ) and combine the results as you recommended. Could you explain in detail how to combine the results of two separate 2D axisymmetric results? I really appreciate it. Best regards, Sung

Posted: 7 years ago 06.06.2017, 02:53 GMT-4
If you want to determine the value at a point, then simply create a Cut Point 2D in both components, making sure that the point corresponds to the same location when considering the misalignment you want. Also, make sure (if the misalignment is a rotation rather than a linear translation) that you take the rotation into account (so that the components of field are added correctly). This logic can be extended to line plots or even surface plots.

Your model could do with reducing the distance of you boundaries. If you do this and introduce Infinite Elements into the external layer of your air domain, you can get a much better mesh with minimal impact.

If you want to determine the value at a point, then simply create a Cut Point 2D in both components, making sure that the point corresponds to the same location when considering the misalignment you want. Also, make sure (if the misalignment is a rotation rather than a linear translation) that you take the rotation into account (so that the components of field are added correctly). This logic can be extended to line plots or even surface plots. Your model could do with reducing the distance of you boundaries. If you do this and introduce Infinite Elements into the external layer of your air domain, you can get a much better mesh with minimal impact.

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.