Note: This discussion is about an older version of the COMSOL Multiphysics® software. The information provided may be out of date.

Discussion Closed This discussion was created more than 6 months ago and has been closed. To start a new discussion with a link back to this one, click here.

Validation of Comsol versus Analytic Solutions

Please login with a confirmed email address before reporting spam

I am trying to validate the program Comsol 3.5a using analytical solutions for transmittance, reflectance and absorbance for various geometries and properties.

A transversal wave arriving at an interface with an incident angle theta.i is shown in Figure 1. Figure 2a shows the analytical solution for reflectance versus that obtained using Comsol for real refraction indexes (non-absorbing media). In figure 2b, the same comparison is made for imaginary refraction indexes (absorbing media).

As can be seen, for non-absorbing media the solution rendered by Comsol is very satisfactory. But this is not the case for absorbing media (N=n+i*k).

I think that the problem lies on the solver of Comsol because, as shown in Figure 3b, reflectance plus transmittance (P_tot2D) is larger than 1 (W) which is not logical because the port was configured for a power of 1W and because for a non-absorbing medium reflectance plus transmittance should be equal to 1 (which is shown in Figure 3a), and for an absorbing medium it should be less than 1 (because part of the energy is absorbed by the medium).

I have used all the solvers of version 3.5a but none of them renders correct solutions. Then, is it a problem with this version or are there other parameters that could be varied to obtain valid solutions?

3 Replies Last Post 03.03.2020, 15:52 GMT-5

Posted: 1 decade ago 30.03.2011, 07:58 GMT-4
Hello,

Since the COMSOL RF module uses the exp(+jwt) convention, maybe absorbing media should be modelled with N=n - i*k (inverted sign of the imaginary part) ?

Best regards,
Hello, Since the COMSOL RF module uses the exp(+jwt) convention, maybe absorbing media should be modelled with N=n - i*k (inverted sign of the imaginary part) ? Best regards,

Posted: 1 decade ago 31.03.2011, 03:23 GMT-4
Dear Inti,

I am trying to do basically the same thing you are doing with Comsol.

I am using Scattering harmonic propagation of In-plane mode and I try to simulate normal reflection of a plane wave going from a medium of index n1 to another with index n2.
I am using PML for the boundaries parallel to the wavefront and periodic boundary -> continuity on the boundaries parallel to the wavefront.
To set the source I used the scalar variables dialog box.
However when I look at the field to find reflectance and transmittance the values appear to be wrong.
(model in the attachment)

Could you describe me your model? Which boundaries conditions have you used? How did you set the source?How did you find the values you showed in the plots of your figura2?

Thank you very much for your help.

Luca
Dear Inti, I am trying to do basically the same thing you are doing with Comsol. I am using Scattering harmonic propagation of In-plane mode and I try to simulate normal reflection of a plane wave going from a medium of index n1 to another with index n2. I am using PML for the boundaries parallel to the wavefront and periodic boundary -> continuity on the boundaries parallel to the wavefront. To set the source I used the scalar variables dialog box. However when I look at the field to find reflectance and transmittance the values appear to be wrong. (model in the attachment) Could you describe me your model? Which boundaries conditions have you used? How did you set the source?How did you find the values you showed in the plots of your figura2? Thank you very much for your help. Luca

Jeff Hiller COMSOL Employee

Posted: 4 years ago 03.03.2020, 15:52 GMT-5
Updated: 4 years ago 10.03.2020, 16:52 GMT-4

Hello Inti,

COMSOL recently added to our website this page that gathers well over a hundred verification and validation models and their documentation. Models can be filtered by discipline or by module, as well as searched through via a free word search. Filtering for the RF Module, you will find these models.

Best regards,

Jeff

-------------------
Jeff Hiller
Hello Inti, COMSOL recently added to our website [this page](https://www.comsol.com/verification-models) that gathers well over a hundred verification and validation models and their documentation. Models can be filtered by discipline or by module, as well as searched through via a free word search. Filtering for the RF Module, you will find [these models](https://www.comsol.com/verification-models/rf-module). Best regards, Jeff

Note that while COMSOL employees may participate in the discussion forum, COMSOL® software users who are on-subscription should submit their questions via the Support Center for a more comprehensive response from the Technical Support team.